Author Topic: Oxalic acid  (Read 29803 times)

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: Oxalic acid
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2014, 08:56:26 pm »
I think the thymol (they're called thymovar) strips are basically the same as your mite away strips :) as for the oxalic acid more then 1 usage per bee life is something they don't take very well.. :( so it's not a good treatment when the hive has closed brood since most of the mites are in there. We have something called ant acid (that's the direct translation, don't know the English word for it.) You get it in 65 and 85% concentration afaik and that does kill the mites in the brood but you can't have supers on if you want honey out of it... its also legally not allowed to use but it is tolerated by the authorities. I'm going to try beevital hiveclean, hopefully that gives good results.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Samsung Note 3 met Tapatalk.

I assume you are talking about a dribble or mist application of OA..  I can't comment because I have never used those methods..
   Using it in vapor form has no ill effect on the bees whatsoever, but also does not affect mites in closed cells. so two or three applications a week apart is necessary, but can be done without any side effects and repeated as often as is necessary.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Edward

« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2014, 04:18:46 pm »
I Think it's formic acid that also kills mites inside brood cells.

mvh Edward  :P
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best-" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2014, 05:01:28 pm »
When ants bite, they inject formic acid, so ant acid would likely translate to formic acid.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Edward

« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2014, 06:14:39 pm »
HCOOH     is how they describe the chemical compound
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best-" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2014, 06:19:05 pm »
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2014, 06:34:32 pm »
When ants bite, they inject formic acid, so ant acid would likely translate to formic acid.

You mean like Tums or Rolaids?   :laugh:

(sorry, couldn't help myself!)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline vossejongk

« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2014, 04:36:00 pm »
Formic it is :)