Author Topic: Bee colony management, A Holistic Approach  (Read 4186 times)

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Bee colony management, A Holistic Approach
« on: April 12, 2014, 02:48:49 am »
Was just in a conversation with a beekeeper on the other BeekeepingForums and dug up and posted this on natural mite control using brood breaks and drone culling. This system was first suggested to Werner Gysi by a long time bee inspector from our area Ted Kaye. Werner has not done any treatments for mites other than following the system laid out in his book for the last 8 years, that he also has posted through his web site.
Bee colony management, a holistic approach. Here is a link to his site and book. Below are the 4 attachments that explain his natural holistic approach.
http://goolymooly.ca/data/publishing/werner_insidebook_bees.html
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
Re: Bee colony management, A Holistic Approach
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 07:24:32 am »
 It is my understanding that pulling drone frames every 21 days or so will help keep the mite population low.  But you have to closely adhere to that schedule.  A little bit late, and youll be over run by mites.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline vossejongk

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 05:06:02 am »
What we do here is give them 1 or 2 frames with a starter strip of foundation on the single last frame position on both sides. In spring they'll mostly draw drone comb from it which when capped more then 70% or before the first capped drones hatch you cut out and give the frame back. Repeat as long as they build drone comb and you can catch up to 50% of your mites :)

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 03:11:11 pm »
There is some good stuff in there (along with a lot of hippie voodoo).   Sorry, but I just don't buy into what Werner is saying.   And I am fully aware that I've only been at this for a couple of years, while he has a likely a lifetime of experience.  That doesn't mean I can't be opinionated though :)     You won't see me checking planetary alignments to see it I can go into the hive, or find me worrying about altering the acoustical environment of the bees.    I don't think that the first day of 15 degree weather is a good time to be making splits.  There will be few if any mature drones around and a new queen will have very poor weather for mating flights.   Also I really don't buy into the theory that a 30 day break in brood rearing will do anything to the mites.  I have a 5 month break in brood rearing every winter and the mites are almost as strong in the spring as they were in the fall.  They simply latch on to adult bees and bide their time till brood is present again.   Some of the other things he says about mites also don't jive with what I've read about their life cycle.

I thinks that it's quite possible that Werner lucked out with a great strain of mite resistant bees, rather than a superior management system.   
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 06:14:56 pm »

I have read quite a few similar sites so only scanned this one. In fact one of the beekeepers near me follows a lot of these principles, going so far as to hire a diviner to find underground waterways in order to place his hives. He has 2" lumber milled down to 1 7/8 to make his boxes out of because that will be the perfect thickness to maintain the correct harmonics in the hive. He refuses to treat his bees or feed his bees. In a great year his bees do fair, in a bad year he has to get new bees.
  I am not adverse to listening to such things, but I have never seen the advantage to the extra effort, time, and expense they cost.  Do bees have to work less hard if the harmonics in their hive is attuned to them?
   Pulling drone brood is a proven method or reducing mites, I have never seen proof that the planets aligning and the harmonics of the land and hive make bees survive and produce better.
   I prefer to feed when they need it. Treat when necessary, and not worry about the planets and harmonics. I am always watching/reading/listening though.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 06:33:05 pm »
Thanks Scott for being considerate in this situation. I live in a world in my head, where all thoughts and ideas have some promise to some degree or another. It really depends on how right or left brained each of us individuals are. If an 1/8 of an inch accuracy, or where the moon is today means that much to some of us... so be it! It sure can't hurt anything  ;) 8)
There Is Peace In The Queendom