Author Topic: April!  (Read 1626 times)

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
April!
« on: April 16, 2020, 02:00:32 pm »
Tried to post an image, of the snowstorm, but it wont let me, says to resize it???  Says I can resize it by clicking preview... Don't see a preview button either... so...   Its SNOWING madly in the middle of April, when it should be in the 60's...   Hmmm, MUST be global warming!   :laugh:
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: April!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 03:42:19 pm »
The preview button is right next to the post button.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 05:51:08 pm »
Try installing packages of bees in weather like that.
It's not snowing here yet, but it is headed out way.  Raining and 46 degrees.  I picked up 2 packages today.  Don't really need them, but I couldn't resist.  He gave a deep discount for previous customers.   I also didn't know so many of my hives were going to be so strong and able to make splits. 

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 07:40:38 am »
The preview button is right next to the post button.

Well crap.. how am I supposed to find it if it is RIGHT THERE obvious and in plain sight?

Good problem to have Bakers!  I'd definitely hold those packages over a day or two...    Drove back to the house from fish camp at 5 this morning, and had to use 4wd to get into the driveway...   Not going to be going outside till tomorrow at least.

*Sponsor*

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 09:30:33 am »

Good problem to have Bakers!  I'd definitely hold those packages over a day or two...    Drove back to the house from fish camp at 5 this morning, and had to use 4wd to get into the driveway...   Not going to be going outside till tomorrow at least.

Our weather wasn't nearly that bad.  I took the first package to a location that is on the south side of a cluster of cedars. It had quit raining just as I got there.  That spot is always a couple of degrees warmer there because of the location.  I was able to install the bees.  I ran out of luck at the next site.  So, I put an empty brood box on the bottom board with a couple of red brick pavers inside.  Another brood box went on top of that.  I hung the queen cage, that had a lot of bees clustering around her, between frames in that second brood box.  I shook a few more bees on top of her and placed the package in the bottom on top of the bricks.  Then it was a matter of putting a feeder bucket on with some sugar syrup, another brood box on top, and closing it up.
If it warms up enough today, I will finish the installation.  The temperature has a long way to go.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 08:42:46 pm »
It actually warmed up and hit the 40's, most of the snow is now gone, and its supposed to be 61 tomorrow...   Hoping winter lets go with this final gasp.

*Sponsor*

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 09:01:16 pm »
no snow here but it's pretty chilly. I had queens scheduled to be delivered yesterday. when I saw the forecast I called & rescheduled them to be shipped on Monday & arrive Tuesday. i'm glad I did. it will be warm enough this weekend to get my splits made up & ready for when they get here. in May 97' I made an early morning run to Granada Ms. when I left at 5:00 am it was snowing so hard that I could not see from the reflection of the snow in my headlights. being a fart smeller I turned my headlights off & ran on my parking lights & could then see just fine & could still be seen by others. judging by all the cars in the ditches a lot of them did not figure that out. when I came home that afternoon the snow was all gone.