Author Topic: Mannlake Vented Suit vs My Old Ultrabreeze Vented Suit  (Read 1430 times)

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
Mannlake Vented Suit vs My Old Ultrabreeze Vented Suit
« on: March 15, 2019, 08:19:33 pm »
I wanted to start this topic for those of you new and seasoned that are looking for a new or replacement suit.  I have had the Ultrabreeze for nearly 6 years now.  It has served me well.  Only one sting on the shoulder where the suit was tight against my body and then it was only a minor sting.  It has tears all over from either snagging on something or areas that my smoker came into contact with it (it will melt fast!).  I am 5-11 and 195 lbs.  The large was always a little small especially in the legs length.  $259 then and it's still the same price.

I watched a great youtube review https://youtu.be/z2kJz8bHQC0 that helped a ton and with some researching on the web, I landed on the Mannlake Vented suit.  Not to be confused with the more expensive Mannlake Provent Suit which has poor reviews across the web.  I paid $123.98 with free shipping from Mannlake.  I buy all of my stuff from Mannlake and I am loyal to them so this was an even easier decision to go with them.  (new keepers:  I have used the Mannlake Goatskin gloves https://www.mannlakeltd.com/shop-all-categories/protective-gear/gloves/pro-grade-goatskin-gloves all 7 years in the hobby, I love them.  I get stung through them mostly on the harvest day when its super hot out and the sweat soaks the glove above the top of my hand and sticks to me.  Having over 20 hives and being out in the yard a long time, I have learned to change my gloves when they get sweaty.  Just a tip for ya.

So, here are my obserations:

1.  The large Ultrabreeze weighs 4.2lbs and the XL Mannlake weighs 5.2 lbs.  The weight of these has been a common complaint.
2.  Again, 5-11 and 195 lbs, the L Ultrabreeze was a little short on legs, the XL Mannlake is great all over but a little long on the legs, but ya
     know, I don't really mind.  Better looser than tight.
3.  Ultrabreeze zipper is brass and catches.  The Mannlake is plastic and slides smooth as butter. 
4.  Fencing veil is nearly the same.  I wear a hat to keep the veil away from my face.  Both will touch your chin if you aren't conscious of it when   
     you look down full tilt.  Also, I think the visibility is better with the Mannlake veil (larger holes).  Another complaint by many.
5.  I am very excited about the solid fabric knee pads on the Mannlake.

The biggest thing will be to put it to test in the yard.  I will monitor weight fatigue, cool/hot and stings.

I will follow up with this post then. 

dice rolling simulation

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Re: Mannlake Vented Suit vs My Old Ultrabreeze Vented Suit
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 11:13:33 pm »
Good review.

I have not read any of the reviews regarding the ProVent suits.  3Reds and I each have one and neither of us has any complaints.  We both have small cinder holes in our suits from lighting the smoker, but the holes don't go all the way through.

We have learned from unfortunate experience to check each other before digging into a hostile hive to make sure all of the zippers are fully closed and all of the velcro is properly placed. 

I agree about wearing a hat and being aware of contact with the chin.  I wear an old cloth fishing had with a small brim all the way around.  A ball cap won't protect your ears.  Wife wears a safari type hard hat.

We both love the Goat skin gloves, but I gave up mine after getting stung on several occasions when my hand was grasping something and the thin leather was tight against the back of my hand.

We started off with Dadant's cotton suits with the wide brim hat/veil.  The suits are okay, but the hat and veil don't turn with your head, and if you wear glasses it will sometimes slip down, pushing your glasses off your face.

One last thing.  I don't recall seeing Ultrabreeze selling suits in black.  All I've ever seen are the white ones.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 01:30:47 am »

One last thing.  I don't recall seeing Ultrabreeze selling suits in black.  All I've ever seen are the white ones.

:laugh:  It hasn't been washed in two seasons!  My wife almost refused to wash it tonight.  It's gonna be retired to a helper/friend/observer suit.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 10:44:39 am »
I am entering my second year with the Mann Lake vented suit.  It looks like the one you are modeling.  Overall, I like it.  I don't wear it all the time, usually during harvest, dearths, times when I can't afford to get stung, etc.
1. It is heavy.
2. The legs DO run long.  I am 5 ft 4 in. and have a lot of excess pant leg down there.
3.  A breeze will go through the fabric and in KS we almost always have a breeze.
4. Zippers are very smooth.
5.  Hood stays on when you wash it.  I zip everything up to wash.
6. I haven't torn or burnt any holes in mine, yet.
7. I managed to catch mine on sale for less than $100.
8.  I kept my old canvas, or whatever it is made out of, too for husband and visitors.
9.  I will sometimes get bees crawling up my legs because the legs and ankles are bulky.  I don't know what is worse, something crawling up your leg or the anticipation that you are probably going to get stung and where is going to happen?

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 09:12:26 pm »
this is not a bad jacket for the money. comparable to all the various brands i tried. also available with a fencing veil or full suit. I do not recommend the gloves.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Protective-Bee-3-Layer-Ultra-Ventilated-beekeeping-jacket-veil-hat-hood-Large/303090096836?hash=item469193dac4:g:t74AAOSwAPxcieY6
The following users thanked this post: blueblood