Author Topic: NOTCHING  (Read 3787 times)

Offline Blair Sampson

NOTCHING
« on: July 01, 2019, 08:45:55 am »
I was recently successful notching a walk away split. My process was standard: 2 frames of capped brood with 2 of honey/pollen. Notch capped brood frames in several spots and await queen hatching. To my amazement it worked.

Here's my question: I wish to do more splits and try notching again. This time I was planning on notching a selected frame of capped brood and leaving it in the mother (queen right) hive for a week or so prior to making a split. This would provide the split with a jump start.   My concerns are will having notched queen cells (as many as 6-8) promote swarming instincts in the mother hive. And/or will the existing queen in the mother hive kill off the cells prior to hatching? Would adding a queen excluder between brood boxes help?

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Re: NOTCHING
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 08:56:20 am »
You're notching capped brood?  I thought using 3 day old larva, or younger, was the way to go.   Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Blair Sampson

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 09:04:18 am »
Notching day old larvae located between larger/older larvae and eggs.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 01:06:15 pm »
The workers will only pull the notched cells if the colony is queenless. They will only repair the cells if you leave them in the mother hive.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 04:50:51 pm »
Gottcha!  Thanks for the clarification. Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.
The following users thanked this post: Blair Sampson