Author Topic: What are you making?  (Read 9823 times)

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
What are you making?
« on: October 15, 2019, 06:40:40 am »
Is anyone making any lotions, balms, salves, etc in preparation for winter?  Tell us what you are working on.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Re: What are you making?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 08:16:44 am »
I'll be making more lip balm soon and have already made four dozen 3" votives and four dozen 8" hand dipped tappers but the project I'm most excited about is my Advent Wreath.  It'll use four 1.5" X 9" pillars and one 3" X 9.5" pillar.  I'm experiencing a learning curve on both but think I've got the smaller candle worked out.  The large candle contains 2 pounds of wax and presents more of a challenge.  I'm super excited about it and think I'll have it worked out soon.  My intention is to post a pick when its lit and burning in all it's glory.  Thanks for the post Bakersdozen!  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 07:03:29 pm »
FYI if you use avocado oil for your lip balm, it will turn out green.  Back to the drawing board.

I am also hoping to make the tops of the lip balm look more professional.  Advice?  Anyone?

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 07:08:33 pm »
Maybe, when i can quit laughing! Ooh ahhhahahah!  God that's funny!
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 07:49:54 pm »
I'm sorry bakersdozen.  Not sure why that struck me so funny but it surely did.  I haven't got any suggestions as I'm still plugging along myself, but i do want to thank you.  It's comforting to be reminded that none of us where born knowing about this stuff and trying new things often leads to, unforseen outcomes.  I appreciate you sharing your unforseen outcome with us.  Thank you, Ted

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 07:56:55 pm »
On second thought, and it is just a thought, do you over fill the tubes then scrape the excess off after it sets up before removing the filled tubes from the tray?  I sometimes do more than one pour, similar to candles, as the balm sinks/shrinks as it cools, from time to time anyway. HTH  Ted

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 05:53:45 am »
Chalk it up to a learning experience.  I have over 20 tubes of green lip balm.  I used yellow beeswax and I wonder if that made a difference in the color of the finished product.  I am going to pick up some white beeswax this weekend, so I will try again with a different recipe.
Instead of pouring, I used a pipette to fill the tubes.   I try a pour over with the next batch.
I am so glad I started with a small batch instead of a large batch.
Tedh, have you tried a sweetener oil?  I thought about making a cotton candy flavor or watermelon flavor and adding some sweetener oil so the flavor would match the scent.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 08:07:43 am »
I've talked with Her Royal Majesty, my wife, about making "flavored" lip balm aimed towards a younger crowd but haven't gone there yet.  I'd like to make a half a dozen or so tubes of a half dozen or so flavors to see how well and which flavors sell the best.  But again, I haven't yet.

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 05:48:05 pm »
Small batches take extra time.  At the state fair, our state honey bee organization always sell 3 flavors.  I think we would sell more if the flavors were geared towards younger people.  I was looking at a display of Burt's Bees lip balms and they had many different flavors and combinations of flavors.

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 04:58:59 am »

I finished these wedding favors.  There are 75 of them.  Thanks to etsy it was easy to have someone else make the labels for me and the organza bags.  Next step is to get them to the post office and they are off to Japan.

I used my sous vide device to de-crystallize my honey.  As you can see the honey remains a light color after being heated to 110 degrees.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 02:40:44 pm »
Frankly I wouldn't care if the lip balm was green, especially if the label shows clearly that it has avocado in it.

As a matter of fact I make and use CBD marij/hem oil, which is a golden green color. I see a cool product with your combined with mine...

"Try this wonderful Avocado Canna lip balm! It will make you Hempy!"  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2019, 03:57:16 pm »
Frankly I wouldn't care if the lip balm was green, especially if the label shows clearly that it has avocado in it.

As a matter of fact I make and use CBD marij/hem oil, which is a golden green color. I see a cool product with your combined with mine...

"Try this wonderful Avocado Canna lip balm! It will make you Hempy!"  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:goodone:  :laugh:

When you get that all figured out, send me some!
I do have some CBD oil that I want to make a lotion with.  It will probably have to wait until after the new year.  Too many irons in the fire already.

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2022, 06:25:16 pm »
I thought this would be a good time to bring this topic up again.  Anyone thinking about any value added products?

I am going to try Zweefer's Paw Wax this year.  I think it will make a good stocking stuffer as everyone I know has a dog.
https://worldwidebeekeeping.com/forum/index.php?topic=9162.0

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2022, 12:11:28 pm »
I just made a batch of body lotion a few days ago.  I accidentally didn't add quite enough beeswax, so it turned out a little thin, but it's okay.  I also need to make some more of a face and body scrub that I use, since I'm almost out, but I'm not sure I'll have time today, because it's my sister's birthday.   

I thought the older posts about the green lip balm were funny, since my other sister gave me a green lip balm for Christmas last year, and it's one of my favorites.  It's pickle flavored!  ;D
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2022, 07:40:00 am »

I thought the older posts about the green lip balm were funny, since my other sister gave me a green lip balm for Christmas last year, and it's one of my favorites.  It's pickle flavored!  ;D

Happy Birthday to your sister!
Pickle Flavored lip balm?  I wonder what was used to get that flavor?  I usually add a little sweetener flavoring that I bought from a mail order company.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2022, 01:58:31 pm »
Happy Birthday to your sister!
Thanks!  :)

Pickle Flavored lip balm?  I wonder what was used to get that flavor?  I usually add a little sweetener flavoring that I bought from a mail order company.
I'm not sure, the ingredients list just says "flavoring".  It could be an artificial flavor, but it could also be dill or something.  This lip balm does have avocado oil in it, but it also has colorant. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2022, 08:56:12 am »
I made two small jars of beard balm for my son and son-in-law. I couldn't remember the recipe I used last night time unfortunately.  I overheard the son-in-law talking to my son about their beards and he recommended getting some of my beard balm.  (I will take that as high praise)  The recipe I used didn't have much of a scent, and maybe that's good.  It certainly feels easy to work with.  Here's the recipe.

Manliness Beard Balm

2 Tbsp beeswax
3 Tbsp Shea Butter
3 tsp jojoba oil
2 tsp Argan oil
3 drop Tea Tree Oil
2 drops Bergamot essential oil

In a double boiler, melt the beeswax and add Shea Butter and melt.  Stir in jojoba, Argan, and Tea Tree Oil.  Remove from heat and stir in Bergamot essential oil.  While warm, pour into container(s).  Allow to cool before adding lids and moving.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2023, 03:40:43 pm »
Definitely OWN the green Avocado lip balm!!!   Problem with cotton candy lip balm? I'd probably eat it.. was just thinking how I would manage to scrape THAT off the toilet later on.....     8)
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2023, 03:58:01 pm »
Definitely OWN the green Avocado lip balm!!!   Problem with cotton candy lip balm? I'd probably eat it.. was just thinking how I would manage to scrape THAT off the toilet later on.....     8)
TMI, man. . . .  :o  :D

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2023, 04:45:37 pm »
You are supposed to use the tissue to remove it, not rub your lips on the toilet. :o
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein