Author Topic: when to stop milking a goat  (Read 14920 times)

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: when to stop milking a goat
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 01:21:19 am »
If you have a large enough area to keep the goats in they are less likely to want to escape. The father in law used 4ft wide stucco wire around the 1/2 acer area that housed the chicken coup and goat field. We put a 2x4 on top from post to post and stapled the wire up to it to keep them from stretching it down. 
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2016, 07:40:34 am »
How often would you all recommend milking a goat? I remember mom having them as I was a young in but don't remember details. The one we had would come up to house same time every day prop herself on side of trailer and watch soap operas.  She liked the young and restless for some reason.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 10:42:20 am »
Females will be females no matter what kind of package they come in. :laugh: :laugh: Jack

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2016, 11:55:10 am »
That will depend on how much milk you want. the more you milk the more she will produce. if all you want is a quart and that is all you milk out, dhe will adjust the production to that output.

Offline Retroguy

• Retroguy
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2016, 09:43:12 pm »
As I recall, we'd dry our cows off about 3 months prior to due date for calving.  This was done to give the cow a chance to "fatten up" which helps with milk production after freshening.  If I had goats I'd do the same thing.  Taper her off over about 3 weeks.

We used to treat the udders with an antibiotic to prevent the possibility of mastititis but I realize a lot of folks might want to avoid that practice.  I would, however, use a teat dip after milking to keep her from developing mastitis during regular milkings.  I'm talking about the doe's comfort here; a young friend came down with mastitis while nursing her first baby and she asured me that it HURTS.
I always stand behind my work...
It makes me harder to find.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 09:15:12 am »
We used to treat the udders with an antibiotic to prevent the possibility of mastititis but I realize a lot of folks might want to avoid that practice.
Are you talking about utter balm? It is a mentallatom rub. Like the one your mom use to rub on your chest to loosen mussels and relieve congestion. Not only is it good for the animals utter but also leaves you hands skin soft and moist. And stinking pretty.

Offline Retroguy

• Retroguy
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2016, 03:35:20 am »
Nope, I'm talking about teat dip.  Usually this activity involves a cloverleaf shaped set of cups with a handle.  Teat dip is poured into the 4 cups and then raised to cover the bottom inch or so of the 4 teats.  Usually contains an iodine solution of some sort (at least in my day it did).  This kills any bacteria near the teat entrance, hence the mastitis prevention.  You have to remember that you're moving that milk machine from one cow to another.  If one has mastitis the others can catch it from the teat cups on the milker.

Udder cream is for keeping the udder and teats moisturized.  Cows with chapped udders & teats are no fun to milk.  Been there, done that, got the switch in the face and the hoof in my lap, ruined the T-shirt.  LOL

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2016, 10:58:11 am »
Ahhhhh, i remember Retroguy, there's nothing like the swinging tail full of chuckle burrs or burdock slapping you up the side of the face while stripping out a cow, while setting on a 3 leg stool to start or end the day. :no: Jack

Offline Retroguy

• Retroguy
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2016, 02:36:39 am »
Since we milked in the barn (no parlor) the worst thing about getting slapped in the face was a wet tail full of pee.  One also learns not to stand behind a cow when she coughs, especially if she has developed a loose stool.   :laugh:

My first job was at the ripe old age of 3 years and involved holding the tail of a first-calf heifer while Dad hand milked her.  We kept the "springers" and dry cows on a farm with no milk machines so we used to truck them over to the dairy farm within a few days of freshening.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2016, 04:01:04 am »
Had a piece of bailing twine tied to a nail on the wall and would tie the tail to it with a bow knot. No tail on the side of the head and when done, pull the end and it comes undone like a shoe lace.

Offline Zulu

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2016, 12:27:02 am »
As others have said goats do like to escape, difference between sheep and goats, one sheep will get out and run up and down the fence looking at the others inside.
Goats, the one who got out will teach all the others where the hole is ,so they all escape.

Spent many a sunset in winter looking for the darn herd.
Zulu's Bees

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2016, 10:15:24 am »
I have a friend that told me how to build a goat proof fence.  He said; "build your fence and throw a bucket of water on it.  If any of the water goes through the fence, it will not hold a goat."

Gypsi

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2016, 04:01:05 pm »
Actually I should have left my goat in the chicken pen I started her in.  It was built when I had a weasel problem, so it had 1 inch chicken wire aproned out and pinned all around it for a couple of feet, no top rail to keep the birds from flying to perch, and it wiggled anytime she tried to climb it. But she was pregnant and I was worried about her being warm enough. So I made her a new pen with a warm shed and gave the old one to chickens. She escaped hers, and I guess I had let the chickens free range, she got in her old pen, filled up on Layena and that is what killed her.