Author Topic: Aspiring to be a new Beekeeper  (Read 5104 times)

Offline Tyler

Aspiring to be a new Beekeeper
« on: March 11, 2015, 03:58:59 pm »
:newhere:
Hey everyone! My name is Tyler Davison, I'm currently a student looking to get into the Beekeeping community once I finish this spring. I suppose I'll take the time now to tell you a little bit of a story about myself... (so this ended up being a lot more long-winded than I had intended, so unless you are particularly interested, you may want to just skip to the bottom from where I've put in bold onwards)

I'm currently in Moncton for University, and once I'm done this spring I am hoping to complete my final year, giving me a Bachelor of Biology. While here, I've acquired two areas of focus: botany and ecology(particularly that of pollinators). When I had first come up here, I honestly didn't have much of a plan, I had hoped on figuring that out by the time I would graduate. In my second year is when I had started on what I believe to be my current course.  Beginning my courses on Botany I had acquired an affinity for plants, and in Animal Behavior I had chosen social insects as my group of focus. During this time I was also taught some on the identification of Fungal and Bacterial growth through a Microbiology course. In the same year, I also had to deal with the undertaking of sexing and breeding fruit flies for a Genetics course.

In the next year, I had performed work in an advanced research team, with my main duty being sorting, counting, identifying, and taking care of aquatic invertebrates(~300 Stonefly larvae of various species, Riffle beetles, Dragonfly larvae, Planaria, and Daphnia, to name some of what was found if anyone was curious).

During this previous summer, to assist my parents(they run a local golf course), I had undergone training and study for Pest Management and Pesticide safety in order to require a Class III(D) Landscape Applicator permit. This made me somewhat acquainted with current pesticide use, though my personal preference is for IPM(Integrated Pest Management) when it is practical.

Finally, in this year, in my fall semester I had taken part in two courses, on Agroecology and Applied Ecology respectively, which had turned my attention more to bees in particular. In Applied Ecology, I was allowed to investigate the conservation of a particular group of animals of our choice, and I had selected Pollinators as my area of study. This had led me to probe about a little into the NSBA for information, which had drawn my attention to beekeeping. In the Agroecology course, we were given the opportunity to [in groups] form a plan in which a 20-acre lot was to be turned into an ecologically sound farmland, which while my group's plan was for the most part unremarkable, my main tasks were to incorporate beekeeping into the plan and to find inexpensive, minimum-chemical means of controlling pests.

All of these left me with a strong desire to learn more about beekeeping, and next thing I knew I had amassed volumes of beekeeping literature, or at least the extent I was able to find online in websites or PDF books. I have read content on a variety of topics, but to be honest I would like some hands on experience and to be involved in beekeeping as soon as possible.

When I am finished here in late April, I will be returning home to the Annapolis Valley, where I am aiming to find some form of work either with plant nurseries(as a Professional Gardener or Nurseryman), or with an Apiary(as a Beekeeper, technician.... anything related to get some hands on experience). From there, I am thinking of trying to set up a small apiary on the far end of our property. If there are any nurseries or apiaries here that think they could keep a newbie kicking around this year, please don't hesitate to contact me! I can give more information on my location or even a resume if anyone is interested in employment, volunteering, or just would like to talk further with me :) I think I will become a regular visitor here, and I hope I don't become a nuisance with the number of questions that I have!

Offline Papakeith

• Salisbury Farm Apiary
Re: Aspiring to be a new Beekeeper
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 04:40:03 pm »
Welcome to the board Tyler.

I'm sure some of our more Northern keeps will be around shortly to point you in the right direction.
I'm starting to think that the bees are keeping me...

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 05:08:53 pm »
Welcome, glad to see you here. We have several Annapolis Valley beeks on the forum who, I'm sure, would be glad to have some company this spring. Especially help that can lift a deep hive body.  ;D
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 06:31:15 pm »

welcome tyler!  enjoyed reading your story.

wow, what a long haul to become an aspiring beek!  ;D
your education will go a long ways to understanding honey bees biology, very cool! ps though, they will throw you many learning curves...... :D

amassing large volumes of beekeeping material?..........hmmmm.........hello my name is tyler, and i think i have a bee problem................ :D

looking forward to your posts!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 06:38:38 pm »
 Welcome Tyler to the forum, glad you found us here and will be looking for some bee knowledge from you.

Ken

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 07:40:47 pm »
Hey Tyler, and  :welcome: to the forum. With all of that knowledge you will be sure to catch on quickly.
This is a friendly group of folks with plenty of experience and a willingness to share it.
I am probably not far away from you, and I have never said no to anyone wanting to join me as I do some rounds. Anything I can do to help just let me know.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 09:19:34 pm »
Welcome to the forums! 
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 10:24:18 pm »
wooo! An EDUCATED beekeeper!   I like it!  We need lots more like Tyler!

I hope I don't become a nuisance with the number of questions that I have!

I hope I dont make an idiot of myself answering your questions in a simplistic manner   ;D 

Welcome to the forum, and VERY glad to have you with us!  I for one, am looking forward to the questions, as well as the story that goes along with them!
   Scott
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline CpnObvious

• My Photobucket Bee Album
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 11:16:05 pm »
Welcome!  I'm sure you will find this form to be a phenomenal resource!  Don't worry about asking too many questions, repeating them, etc... We all do it!

Also, please be sure to post the dumb things you do in the future!  It always helps to have someone else's mistakes to laugh at!

:laugh:

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 01:29:09 am »
welcome to the forum tyler.  Good luck with your plans.  As a university student you've no doubt learned to form an opinion by sorting through a  multitude of sources.   That's one thing I'd urge you to put to good use in your bee keeping endeavours.   There is a lot of literature on bees out there on the internet that has no scientific (or rational)  basis whatsoever.   Also bee keeping is highly regional and techniques that work well in one climate may be disastrous in another.   Perry is highly knowledgeable and well respected around here, I'd urge you to get in contact with him.  A couple of dozen stings later, you can decide if this is indeed the path for you :)
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 08:31:39 am »
hello and welcome aboard
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline Curtchann

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 08:27:57 pm »
Welcome to the club! ;D

Offline LadyyTay

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 09:52:35 pm »
 :welcome: to the forum. You'll find lots of help here. And the people I've interacted with have been warm and welcoming.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 10:07:03 pm »
Cpn- "Don't worry about asking too many questions, repeating them, etc... We all do it!

Not Mee!  ;)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 06:18:48 am »
Howdy Tyler and welcome.  If you ever wander down Texas way drop me a line and I would be happy to give you a quick tour of the Texas A&M bee lab plus show you around the area (we have several well know bee keeping operation within a 20 mile distance... which in Texas is a bit like 'right next door').

and a snip from lazybkr...
wooo! An EDUCATED beekeeper!

tecumseh...
you do know that some beekeepers are educated to the level that it can become embarrassing for some of us to even speak on such matters.  for some reason this topic always seems somewhat embarrassing to justify to others why it took X number of degrees to be a beekeeper.   furthermore I would suggest that yes education may effect how you view or look at things in the world but it does not change who you are. 

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 03:54:01 pm »
OKAY Tyler!  Glad to count you in the forum with the rest of us. 

I'll mirror Tecumseh's invitation: If you ever wander across the "pond" and get to Israel, drop me a line and I'll be happy to show you some of the hives in my neighborhood.  Some other things too, like flowers and insects.  There's even a local pond with plenty of Daphnias. 

Travel 20 miles here and it's almost as if you've gone half way around the world.  Things are kinda compact in our small country. 

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 08:18:19 pm »
Hi and Welcome Tyler. a lot of young beekeepers get their start in beekeeping as a summer job working for beekeepers. between school semesters.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.