Beekeeping > Beekeeping 101

Honeygate malfunction

(1/2) > >>

omnimirage:
One of my honeygates isn't sealed and is dripping honey. The bolt to the right side won't tighten anymore, it just spins around forever. It looks tight enough though, the left part of the gate seems to be the loose part. I can't tighten that screw though, even when using a spanner to hold down the back, and a power tool to screw it down tighter.

I'm not sure what to do. I checked to see if there was any gunk behind it, getting in the way of tightly sealing and there isn't. I'm left to wonder if it's damaged and whether I need to just discard it, or whether I can some how tighten it so that it won't leak honey.

Anyone have any feedback?

apisbees:
I will assume it is a plastic one. With a tank or bucket full of honey it is a pain to have one fail. Plastic gates can warp and fail some of the plastic gates use a round O ring to provide the seal. check that it is not cracked, missing, or has a chunk out of it. Spend a little extra and get a stainless steel one that will not warp. need an O-ring any auto parts store should carry all the different sizes.

omnimirage:
It is a plastic honeygate. There's also no O ring on it, that must be it, I'll check out my local shops thanks.

apisbees:
There should be a slot in the face or the cover for the O-ring to fit into.

LazyBkpr:
Yep, what Apis said. Mine had a clear o ring in them when i got them, they all have black automotive o rings in them now!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version