Author Topic: Good pollination information  (Read 4634 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Good pollination information
« on: December 09, 2013, 03:06:20 pm »
For those of us that are thinking about trying to maybe make a dollar or two in the pollination game, this is a great resource to read and have on hand in case a grower decides to ask a few questions. Better to at least have an idea of some of the answers.  :oops:

Some of the highlights are crop yield improvements, how many hives per acre, location, timing, all good things to know. The better the job of pollination the more likely you will become a regular provider.
Blueberries up here pay $140 per hive for about 3 weeks. No matter how you slice it, that's pretty good $$$. If you can get a good contract, and get to know and trust the grower......!

http://www.gnb.ca/0171/10/0171100010-e.asp
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Good pollination information
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 02:57:16 pm »
Good article on Blueberry pollination. because the nectar from BB is less attractive to bees than other floral sources that are in bloom at the same time the hive populations and the number of colonies per acre is crucial to getting a good fruit set.
Pollination of apples, cherry's,peaches, raspberry, the bloom attracts the bee. In pollination orchards timing is important as to not over pollinate the fruit trees causing more fruit set than the trees can support.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Jacobs

• Which one do I keep?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 06:38:18 am »
North Carolina State University has information on the value of honey bees to pollinated crops and the recommended number of hives per acre in our area.  The statistics are a few years old, but are still valuable.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/wp-content/uplo ... 4-copy.pdf

Offline minz

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 04:16:33 pm »
yes, Oregon also has one as well. OSU is really into ag related fields and really kicks out a bunch of new fruit and berries each year.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 04:38:43 pm »
Good read.
It can be embarrassing if a grower asks a question you should know, like how many hives do I need?  :oops:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline minz

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 05:46:38 pm »
Lots of U pick blueberry growers here.  There was a guy at the gym that wanted to get into bee keeping because his church friend decided to hire pollination hives for one year and I guess it seemed like easy money.  With all the 1 acre berry lots I would think 4 would cover just about all types. On one hand I do not want to undercut the commercial guys but I think these guys would be too small. I was thinking I would charge a small flat fee and then by the mile based on their location (since it is my biggest cost and least fun part of the hobby).

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 01:01:20 am »
Hey Minz, fyi, I live in California right near the southern Oregon border. Nice to have someone on forum that lives in my area. I'll be chattin with ya  :)
There Is Peace In The Queendom