Author Topic: Relieved to see life!  (Read 10334 times)

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
Relieved to see life!
« on: December 10, 2013, 05:43:17 pm »
Okay, I guess I'm like a parent that waits by the front door for his son or daughter to return late at night from a first date. Today it was in the 40's and ice beginning to melt. I actually saw activity in front of all five of my hives. There was a real sense of relief that came over me. I know, it's silly, but I have a lot of love, time, money and in the case of one particular hive, doctor bills, invested in these girls and I want them to survive all winter. Tomorrow, it is expected to be in the 40's again and sunny and I hope to feed some more.

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
Re: Relieved to see life!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 07:33:47 pm »
Not silly at all Tbon...I feel the same way...

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 07:48:47 pm »
We all do, just some of us won't admit it!  ;)   :mrgreen:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 08:19:00 pm »
Yep I will admit to it also. Popped the lid on the two tiny nucs I have, both were very late swarms not much bigger than a grapefruit, one dead the other still kicking.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 12:30:18 am »
Our temps are predicted to be up to 45-50 next week. I'll be checkin in the hive then. Crossing fingers.

Now, this is a time when I shouldn't be lifting frames out right?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 12:44:52 am »
I've seen others say if the temp is 50 go for it.. but I learned not to touch them until it was 60 or better outside temps.. maybe someone with a more definitive experience can answer and help us both!!...
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 05:45:37 am »
45 to lift, feed, close, emergency only. 55 and sunny to lift and peek.  60 and sunny, with no wind, to lift a frame.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 05:57:09 am »
well tbonekel image the sad plight of the poor YANKEE beekeeper who has to wait patiently all winter long to see if anything is still alive in them little white boxes setting outside in the snow.  my worries of such things ended decades and decades ago.... at some point you just have to know these sorts of things are in the hands of god, or luck or mother nature.

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 06:57:55 am »
Since keeping bees I have found it intriguing to see a warmer season specimen such as a honeybee milling about on warmer days in the winter months.  And, I think to  myself, I never saw bees anywhere during winter months growing up.  I suppose I just didn't know where to look.

Offline Jacobs

• Which one do I keep?
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 06:54:13 am »
When it is above freezing, I keep a feeder jar of honey water about 30 feet from my backyard hives.  It gives the bees a reason to fly when it is sunny and 42°F or warmer.  It does my heart good to see them and when the sun angle is right, you can see a large number of bathroom breaks on the way to and from the feeder.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 05:44:18 pm »
HU! YAAAAAAAY! We are 40 degrees today and one lone gaurd be came out and sunned itself on the front porch a few minutes or more, then turned around and went back in  :D  :D  :D  

Like Jacobs said "Does my heart good" to see em once in awhile.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 04:11:06 pm »
It's gotten up to between 45 and 50 degrees here today.  The girls decided to do some housecleaning and stretch their legs a little bit.  I'm glad to see some life here too!  Makes me feel better as I put Christmas bows on honey jars.

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 04:35:11 pm »
Sunny and 60 degrees today. Boy the girls are active today! I opened up the hives and there are still lots of bees. They don't have much stores at all and I gave them some food before the big chill (about 2 weeks ago) and odd thing is that they have not eaten all of it. Do they have to turn it into honey before it is beneficial to them? Just from reading all the expert posts, I know that they don't have enough stores for long. But as many people have said before - "the bees know what they are doing". I'm just glad they are up and about today. It's going to be warm and sunny for the next 3 or 4 days and I have even seen some dandelions(sp) blooming!

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 04:47:25 pm »
If there's not too many hives in the area, feed 100 to 300 feet from the hive. They will carry it back and convert it. They may think it's already in storage if it's in the hive.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 04:51:35 pm »
I won't see much for a few months I expect.  :(

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 05:06:35 pm »
Perry, I think I see a few snow bees flying around there.Sure glad I don't have any of them in the air.   :evil:    :lol:
― Shel Silverstein

Gypsi

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 10:25:18 pm »
We don't get cold enough for mine to go into cluster 24/7 for long, but after a week without seeing a bee, I too was relieved to see life. Then saddened to see robbing..  Got to go out in a few and put a robber guard on.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 12:24:12 pm »
Yesterday, I had to pluck about 5 bees out of the hive for BVT. More guard bees came to the entrance than usual, it was about 45 degrees for about 2 hours so I took the entrance excluders off for a couple of hours and about 30 bees came out and swirled about the air. I was so happy to see them. Today I have to get the lid loose to put popsicle sticks on the edge of the top deep. I'll keep ya posted  :)

Gypsi

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 12:52:40 am »
What is BVT?

Offline Jacobs

• Which one do I keep?
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 07:31:34 am »
My guess is "bee venom therapy" (stinging).  It is a sure cure for attention deficit when working hives.