Author Topic: do the bees have a frame prefernce?  (Read 14370 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: do the bees have a frame prefernce?
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2013, 08:17:52 am »
Wooden frames and wax coated plastic foundation. Black for the brood chamber, white for the honey supers. I don't like plastic frames simply because there is too much flex in them when doing inspections. No SHB here (yet) so that isn't an issue.
I understand that the bees will draw out wax foundation as a preference, but will draw out almost anything during a flow, and that works best for me.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Jacobs

• Which one do I keep?
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2013, 08:49:49 am »
I mostly use unwaxed plastic foundation in wooden frames.  I collect and save my wax and paint it on the frames much thicker than the commercial coating.  My wax contains only the chemicals and contaminants my bees bring home rather than the mix present in all commercially produced wax.  I can't say what the plastic itself puts out.  I am at a point where I am going to be taking some of my older comb out of use.  With the plastic foundation, I can scrape the old comb off, re-coat the plastic foundation, and give it back to the bees to draw out again. 

I have just purchased some wired wax foundation to get drawn out.  I plan to use it on nucs where I am trying to get queen cells made to put into other hives and raise some queens.  While I like my plastic foundation, especially for extracting honey without having to wire frames, I do not like the idea of having to use tin snips to cut queen cells from my plastic foundation for transplant.

Most of the plastic foundation I have is not black, but the black does make spotting eggs easier.

In my long winded way, I guess I am saying think about what you want to start with and why.  As the years go by, thanks to L. L. Langstroth and commercial standardization of frame sizes, you can buy and use other types of frames or foundation for specific purposes.  I've never had a hive explode because I mixed plastic foundation with wax foundation, and the bees have never filed a grievance. 

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2013, 09:05:33 am »
and that works best for me.

There is the key right there!!
   There isnt a lot natural about (to steel a quote from Mrs. River) Keeping wild things in a box..    Keeping bees is like being married..   there ARE some things your just going to have to compromise about. Some things will make the partner content, while other things will get you STUNG..   I have wood/plastic, wood/empty and  plastic/plastic and the bees use it all..
    ALSO like being married...  IF, you limit their choice they use what they are given..  UNLIKE being married you dont hear about it from the bees for the rest of your natural life!
   I have to say...  I use foundation-less because the QUEEN doesnt want to spend $2000.00 when I need a thousand frames..  So I make them myself, and have in the neighborhood of $200.00 invested instead.  I have a few more issues to deal with..  crooked comb, wide comb, soft wax, extractor blowouts..  ETC..   Most of it is just a matter of adapting my method, and worth the compromise to keep the marriage... errr..  BEES happy.   In the end.. it amazes me what I do to keep a little queen happy!!!

AWESOME gas tank Hive Robo!!!!!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2013, 11:20:18 am »
love the gas tank hive just gose to show they will home about near anything. Thankyou for all the advice with this. gave me great info on the direction i should go. <3

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2013, 11:31:46 am »
Ha! That gas tank of bees and comb is great!

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2013, 12:03:59 pm »
Me too!   ;D
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2013, 01:12:05 pm »
I enjoy working in the shop with the wood stove going, the smell of the wood and wax foundation, and knowing that the bees will draw out the whole frame of wax foundation. I've tried the plastic foundation and if a heavy flow is on they will draw whole frames out, but when the flow starts getting weaker they will draw half frames and draw 3 or 4 strips from top to bottom of the frames (i call them snakes). The plastic foundation is either built into the plastic frame or snapped into a wood frame so it takes less work. To me plastic stinks, it has to hold cold temp. and hot temp. longer than wax,makes it hard to remove queen cells from, and of course comb honey from it is out of the question. I have wood frames that i have replaced wax foundation in for over thirty years and only cross wired them once and the bees love them because of the smell of the old wax and propolis and will go to work on them quicker. I also think (just my idea) that by my handling of the frames it leaves my sent on them and when work the hives they think i'm one of them.LOL. I'm thinking the bees went to the gas tank because someone put plastic in their hive. Jack

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2013, 03:51:08 pm »
I'm thinking the bees went to the gas tank because someone put plastic in their hive. Jack

HAHA that is a good one Jack!!

Gas tank bees are very nice. Bees don't care as long as they are out of the weather and have enough room to expand (well for the most part anyway).
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2013, 03:53:38 pm »
Jack Jack Jack
Now you're telling us that the bees like your smell:o
I have to say I really missed "debating" with you on the pros and cons about plastic verses that "other" stuff, you and I both being such open-minded types and all.
Maybe we could duel it out somewhere, the squirt could be judge!  ;)
And then, after I show you how to pop the plastic foundation into all your frames, we'll sit down an have a beer or two.
Your friend
Perry
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2013, 04:22:44 pm »
Perry,Perry,Perry, The Squirt for the judge? you must think i came to town on a load of pumpkins. After the way i've picked on her and knowing that she uses plastic foundation her self, i got a good idea how i'd come out. Now if you want to be fair, we'll let iddee and G3 be the judges. Your buddy, Jack

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2013, 04:36:51 pm »
Okay, I stand corrected, respectully. I have a small operation of bees with one hive two deeps tall, and will be splitting this spring into two separate hives. I seriously doubt I'll have more hives than that. So I can afford purchasing new wood frames and wax foundation when I need them. If I was a full on apiary with 600 hives, that might be a different story.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2013, 04:43:36 pm »
fellas, fellas, fellas............we all know that plastic frames, plastic foundation, plastic hive boxes will only lead to plastic bees!

Jack I think I would be a fair judge too ::) ::)

Jaybird, with one hive you have an apiary! We all started some where and some are big contributors to the bee world and don't even own a single hive. Heck the president of our club just got back into bees last year.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Zookeep

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2013, 05:12:56 pm »
Jaybird I started with 1 hive 2 years ago and now am at 53 with the swarm I caught 2 days ago (saw the queen today, almost totally black) and not gonna stop growing, I want 200 by this time next year
Springs a week
Falls a Rumor
Winters 2 weeks
the rest is all Summer

[size=150] BeachBum Beekeeper Division[/size]

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2013, 06:32:40 pm »
eh hem, I'm not a fella, I'm a filly ~ fyi ;)

You Go Zoo!

And, I have my one hive in my backyard within the city limits. Not allowed. Shhhhh. One of the reasons I only need a couple of hives.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 06:35:22 pm by jaybird »
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2013, 07:20:23 pm »
well the SQUIRT went to waxed pierco foundation (got smart, lol) a long time ago and have always used wood frames. it works for me......lol, my bees don't care, so you fellers are just stuck in beekeepin history or your bees are just plain retarded and ps jack you don't even know what a yellow jacket is LOL!!!........ :)

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2013, 07:42:37 pm »
you fellers are just stuck in beekeepin history or your bees are just plain retarded and ps jack you don't even know what a yellow jacket is LOL!!!........ :)

/me nods head, puts hands on hips..    "YEAH! So there!!!"     

(Hides behind Squirt)
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2013, 08:05:38 pm »
lol lazy!
and jack don't forget.... now you have everyone on this forum calling me squirt....lol  ;D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor