Author Topic: Beekeeping, Czech Republic  (Read 6366 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Beekeeping, Czech Republic
« on: December 28, 2013, 09:59:17 am »
I got sent a link to this from a friend in Cape Breton. He is thinking about trying a beekeeping house type set up himself this year. He has around 8 to 10 hives.
One thing that really intrigued me though, was the picture near the bottom where the guy has attached a black hose with steel balls in it to counter-balance any wobble in his extractor.
What an interesting (and simple) idea!!

http://apiculture.ncf.ca/Documents/BeekeepingInCR.htm
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
Re: Beekeeping, Czech Republic
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 10:02:58 am »
Heck perry you  scared me thought we had a beekeeping spammer  ;D I never thought of the ball idea but if they will move freely in the tube I can see where it would help balance the extractor
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 10:22:09 am »
Heck perry you  scared me thought we had a beekeeping spammer  ;D I never thought of the ball idea but if they will move freely in the tube I can see where it would help balance the extractor

LOL You know, I thought the same thing as I was posting it! LOL
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 11:05:40 am »
The counter balance idea is genius.  They should integrate that into every extractor.

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 03:30:53 pm »
In the first pic, look in the windows, looks like rows of frames hanging down.

Yes the ball idea is ingenious. I was contemplating something hanging down from the bottom of the outside of the extractor, a heavy weight hanging from some sash chain from each leg, kind of a counter balance.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 03:42:58 pm »
I zoomed in on the pic G3 and I think you're right. Storage perhaps? With all that light wax moth wouldn't be a problem.
Forum Supporter

Offline Crofter

• ex pressure welder/steamfitter; now a tinker
  • Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 03:49:34 pm »
Someone will have to explain the steel balls in the tube to me. I remember years ago steel balls being sold to put inside your tubeless tires to balance them.
Frank

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 04:31:53 pm »
Same principle. A friend of mine works at a semi truck shop and says they put in a hand full of tiny steel balls in the tires. Self balancing type of thing.

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Crofter

• Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 05:41:38 pm »
But does it do anything more affective than a copper bracelet?
Frank

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 05:57:15 pm »
But does it do anything more affective than a copper bracelet?

???????  not sure what that has to do with it.

Offline DMLinton

• Member, Tundra Division
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 07:31:33 pm »
I think I'm with Crofter on this one.  The heavy side of an unbalanced spinning thing ends up furthest from the center of rotation, which is why you get that nice bumpy ride with an unbalanced wheel.  Now, just as a weight swung on the end of a rope will get as far from the center of rotation as possible (unless it is spun too slowly), would the balls not also move as far as possible from the center of rotation, which is already the heavy side?  This would tend to exacerbate the problem rather than mitigating it. 

It seems to me that the only possible way this could work is if the overall mass of the unbalanced load was negligible relative to the overall mass of the balls.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 07:33:20 pm by DMLinton »
Regards, Dennis
First bees installed July 1, 2014..

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 07:39:22 pm »
In the distant past, I have seen trucks use a similar hula hoop style tube with steel balls in oil to dynamically balance tires and wheels.  I feel old.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Crofter

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 07:47:52 pm »
There is a lot of things being sold along this line and lots of testimonials supporting it, but like well witching, not too well documented.
Frank

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 09:26:24 pm »
Having worked on trucks of all sizes, and done tires of all sizes.. I can say no.. the balance medium spreads out in the lighter area.. I cant tell you why, But I can say for certain it works..   I have used sand as well as BB size steel balls..  Drop them in the tire before it goes on the rim and off they go.
   Most places dont have balancers big enough to handle tractor Trailer tires, so this is the next best thing.    A lot of trucking companies also like to use recaps, often of dubious quality.. the recap may look fantastic, but the tread or just the density of the rubber is off...   so, in balancing with standard weights, it will be out of balance in a couple thousand miles as the high spot/hard spot wears off..
   Excellent idea..  I will have to look into that if I ever get this extractor....
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 11:00:53 pm »
I keep my bees in sheds and there are pro's and con's to it.

Pros: no need to paint wooden ware, as is does not get damaged by weather and UV rays.   Winter conditions in the hive are milder because there is no wind to cool the hive or send drafts.  Inspections are easier because the forager traffic is behind a wall instead of around your head.   No weeds around the hive.  Robbers can't pounce on exposed frames.  Vandalism, theft, and animal pests are minimized.   Tall hives are easily secured.  Neighbors don't even know about the bees.  outer cover not needed.

Cons:  the hives do not get solar gain and are slower to start foraging in the morning.  There is no bright light for inspections and eggs can be hard to see.  Smoke can build up if you leave the smoker inside.   I have no proof, but I think that there is a lot more drifting between hives (even with distinctive landing boards).
My advice: worth price charged :)