Author Topic: Starting from a nuc  (Read 4690 times)

Offline mamapoppybee

Starting from a nuc
« on: January 02, 2014, 11:20:51 am »
How dose one start up from a nuc? The beek im purchasing from has offerd to help instal but i must bring my hive. what steps do i fallow to transport a hive like that?

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: Starting from a nuc
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 11:46:45 am »
Basically your hive body, bottom board etc..  but you'll also need a screen for the entrance to keep the bees in..  If you have to go a long ways, a top cover that is also screened so the bees dont get too hot..     Due to unpleasant prior experience..  I also recommend a ratchet strap to bind the hive together with...   NOT having it strapped and having an idiot pull out in front of you can lead to an unpleasant experience..

In all honesty.. a NUC is really easy..   Keep the frames in the same order, and swap them from nuc to the center of the hive box.  IF your getting the NUC box, you can even pop another nuc box on top of it and let them grow a bit, so when you transfer to a hive box you have a full ten frames. Its a lot easier than hiving a package. No queen to release, and you already have started brood and drawn frames.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 11:54:33 am »
So can i use trim bord and old window screens to make these covers?

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 11:58:33 am »
Yep, or just staple screen over the hole in your current inner cover and leave the tele lid off. 

*Sponsor*

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 12:35:44 pm »
I would recommend getting there in the late afternoon with enough time left to get it installed, then wait until dusk when they are all in and no longer flying.

I prefer hive staples to hold the bottom board on, rather than straps. The lid can be held with strap, brads, staples, or whatever. Move then after dark, and let them set in the new location overnight, releasing them to fly the next morning. Your seller likely will install the hive staples if you ask.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 05:36:40 am »
this is really my preferred method of selling nucs here to the locals.

basically it gives the new beekeeper a mini bee school while you do the transfer.  I like it since I know the buyer is well aware of exactly what they have purchased.   I typically spend a bit of extra time and show them the basic and point out the queen which I normally have marked.  I almost always provide the staples to make certain the bottom board is well secured and the nails if attaching the top is required.

depending on the season (hot or cold) they bring a bottom board, an entrance reducer,  a hive body with 5 new frames and a top cover.  unless the weather is very hot a screen cover for the top is unnecessary.  I would rather they transport the unit in a truck but if this is not available I inform them that they want to take the unit directly home and set the unit out without making too many or more importantly too long a stop.  even with a screen top cover a hive can and will die in the trunk of an automobile when it is left out in the direct sun in the heat.

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 10:00:00 am »
the nuc farm i found is about 15 miles from my house. so travle should not be an issue. I wanted to get local less stress on bee's and i am an advocate of supporting local as much as possible. the gent aka rick gave me some pointers on some magazines to get. told me when the beek club meets here and gave me an alternative so if i cant make those meetings. told me there chapter is a learning one and they do classes as to whats going on in the season. also told me about a class at osu for new beeks. Just all and very helpful thus far.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 10:13:08 am »
It sounds to me like you have found the right kind of vendor. Every new beek should be so lucky.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 10:16:29 am »
sounds like you found the right kind of beekeeper to deal with. Don't forget to tell him about us ;)
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 03:51:47 pm »
Perfect!!!  Glad to hear he was helpful!!!  Thats how its supposed to work!!  Sounds like your connections are coming together!!

*Sponsor*

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 05:11:23 am »
the contact for the bee club and the bee school should be the best and most valued information you could have gotten from anyone.

I don't place too much faith in the idea of local adaptation (and most especially since not everyone comes to bee keeping with the same PURPOSE in mind) but you can rest assured I do KNOW that moving bees does place a good deal of stress on a hive and limiting this stressor is without a doubt a large plus.

and good luck on your new adventure...

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 07:14:52 am »
mama- Rick sounds like a good source for local bees and local advice.  That's pretty valuable.  Sounds like he could prove to be a candidate for a plate of cookies in appreciation for the advice.  He'll be sure to answer his phone if you have any questions in the future. ;)
Yes, I will resort to bribery if I have to.

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 08:45:00 am »
A LITTLE TIP

When transporting a nuc or hive, I like to have align the frames front to back. If the frames are parallel to the axles, then braking or accelerating can cause the frames to swing. A swinging frame could crush a queen.     :)
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 04:42:28 pm »
Glad to see Barbarian here...

as to his comments... this is what we use to call 'the death rattle'.  that is the rattle frames make in a hive body when they have not yet quite been glue back together by the bees < since some here are very very new to all this simply take a newly constructed box with frame and you should clearly be able to discern the sound of the wood of the end bars clanking together when you give the box a shake .  given enough time so the bees can propolis all the frames together it really is so much of a problem.  obviously if you have just set a nuc into a box it definitely is.  you can SOMEWHAT minimize the problem by also using your hive tool to wedge the frames into two opposite corner < that is the top bar will appear to running at a slight angle to the two sides of the box.  even with this the novice would be well advised to follow Barbarian's advice on exactly how the hive's body + frames are set into the truck's bed relative to the truck's axle.

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 04:48:45 pm »
Thankyou this is great advise. Losing the queen :o would just be the worst! An this is my very first rodeo so a great tip.