Author Topic: Hive Inspection, now I've got questions?  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Newbee

Re: Hive Inspection, now I've got questions?
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 04:12:02 pm »
Was able to inspect the hive this afternoon. Took out the first three frames (entrance reducer is on the right-side of the hive, not centered, frame 1 is closest to entrance, than 2, than 3 (actually, entrance is about 2-frames wide, so they're kinda all right at the entrance)).
I saw some good things and bad things in there, tried to take pics (below)

- Larvae of various ages/stages clearly visible, some pretty small, ergo, someone laid them.. a week ago or less?
- Larvae are laid around perimeter of frame, seems unusual? Shouldn't it be in the middle?
- Dunno about the dark and light colored areas? 1st pic has some funky looking cells just to the left of center near the bottom?
- There was one patch appeared white and almost like cobwebs (3rd pic lower right, but note ears on frame - patch is at top of frame)
- No sign of queen, but again, young larvae, so feeling better about her status (laying worker?). Sundays inspection was the first in 2 weeks, so I'm going to assume she's still in there somewheres.
- A good-sized (2mm) black 'bug' fell out of the 2nd hive body when I took it off, need to find pics of hive beetles (google here I come!)
- Found another 20-or-so of those larvae-things on bottom board, so far they appear to be wax moths. Any treatment options?

Please take a gander and let me know what you more experienced folks think. I've got mixed feelings after looking again today (but better about the queen). There are more pics, but these were the best (sorry, crappy phone, and I had to take my glove off to take pics, shudder, I'm sure I was shaking a tad....  :-[  )

Thanks again!

- K

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2017, 04:32:03 pm »
Newbee, I think you're worried about a whole lot of nothing! ;D
Everything looks good to me, lots of capped brood, lots of fuzzy young bees, pollen galore. Eggs are laid in a circular pattern by the queen, so as the circle expands she moves farther and farther out from the center. At some point she will be laying along the outside edge.
That white stuff you point out in the 3rd pic is capped honey! The fresh cappings always start out nice and white.
It appears to me that everything is exactly as it should be so you can slow down on the worry wagon. ;)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter
The following users thanked this post: Newbee

Offline Newbee

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 05:12:29 pm »
Man, I sure do appreciate the advice, especially coming from you Perry!
(visions of $$$$ down the drain have been plaguing me!  :laugh: )

Lots of fuzzy bee's? I didn't post that pic. It was kinda fuzzy!

- K

Offline Green bee

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2017, 05:20:11 pm »
It appears to me that everything is exactly as it should be so you can slow down on the worry wagon. ;)

Haha Perry my worry wagon goes 100 mph sometime... it wouldn't be normal for us new beeks not to worry :D  Newbee it looks like your bees are doing really good to me ...but keep in mind I am a new beek to.  I installed my bees the 6th of April . I did have some drawn comb to start them with so the queens started laying fairly fast. I have added a second hive body and the bees are really on the ball. I have just learned to look for eggs instead of the queen. Don't get me wrong I do look for her but if I see eggs I don't worry about it to much. Nice pics to!
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Offline PappyRick

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 05:23:21 pm »
I can really appreciate this thread.  It helps my worry wagon too!!!!  Pappyrick

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2017, 05:53:00 pm »
Hanging with an experianced keep, in my opinion, is one of the best things a new keep can do!  Right on brother!  Ted

Many posts since I started typing and I agree, things look fine from here.  But, an experianed keep, or lots of pics goes a looong way to reduce the worry.  Good on you! Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2017, 10:29:06 pm »
Newbee, by fuzzy bees I mean young bees, ones that have just been born recently. If you look at the thorax area of the bees you will see many of them have a light coloured hairiness in the area. As they get older and work, this soon wears off and disappears.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter
The following users thanked this post: Newbee

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2017, 10:37:55 pm »
If your not satisfied with those bees I got a yard or two that will take them off your hands.  ;D ;D

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2017, 11:04:54 pm »
newbee,

Your hive population is on the verge of exploding. Your queen is laying a nice pattern. Enjoy-soon you'll have thousands of employees! :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2017, 10:18:47 am »
 :yes: Yep I am on the "looks good" bandwagon as a second year Beek and early on I went through plenty of worry some moments myself only to find out it was normal. Oh and still do now and again as I learn  :laugh:
Cheers, Bill