Author Topic: Show your swarm traps  (Read 37744 times)

Offline rrog13

Re: Show your swarm traps
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2014, 11:30:10 pm »
This bait hive is sitting on top of my hydroponic garden.  It had a lot of interest today.  If I can, I’m hoping to get a swarm on video.  I’ve got three bait hives out.  All three are getting looked at heavily.  The bees visiting this one seem to be coming from the direction of another bait hive I have set out a mile away.  Rumor has it, there’s an abandoned house somewhere around here that’s had honeybees in the walls for years.  I’d have no intension of doing a cut out on em, but would love to see it.

Offline jb63

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2014, 11:31:34 am »
Looks good Rog,show some more video when they move in.Please.
I don't know.It was like that when I got here.

Offline minz

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2014, 03:52:22 pm »
I went to scope out a new hive location at a friend’s house and every single crocus had bees in it.  I figure somebody in the neighborhood is a new beek. Maybe they do swarm prevention like I do, I know where I am placing a trap! I was also exhausted at work and took a nap. No bee poop on my window when I went in from lunch and 5 big spots when I left (had to scrape ice off the window in the AM so I know it was not from my bees).

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2014, 09:11:17 pm »
So I have 4 1.4 cubic foot boxes built..  I am going to put them up about 10 - 20 yards from my normal .9 cubic foot boxes to see which the bees will choose. I'll use commercial lure and Lemon grass oil in both..   Not enough to be scientific, but most places I have for swarm boxes require a hike over the river and through the woods.   EVEN if all four larger boxes catch bees and the smaller ones don't I won't be carrying the big box that far, but I will start using the larger ones where I can get to easily...
   So just sitting here staring at the screen waiting for spring to arrive...   Someone wake me up when it arrives K?

Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2014, 10:08:13 pm »
"So just sitting here staring at the screen waiting for spring to arrive...   Someone wake me up when it arrives K?"

me and you both lazy, if i was to put out any swarm traps right now, i would have to be wearing a pair of snowshoes.   :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline crazy8days

• https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crees-Bees/264227527049555?ref=hl
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2014, 04:10:07 pm »
Robo, In your video, how long did you leave that trap out after it was occupied with bees?

I'm going to set a trap close to my garage this year.  The few days it has been warm I get bees coming into the garage.  They smell the hives I have in here.
“It's wonderful to me that bees have this simple, age-old thing going on.” -Peter Fonda

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2014, 10:06:53 pm »
Robo, In your video, how long did you leave that trap out after it was occupied with bees?
I don't recall exactly, but I think about a month or so.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline rrog13

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2014, 09:55:08 pm »
I spotted a swarm on the property last Friday morning.  They were pretty high up in pine tree and I had thrown a rope tied to a stone up over the limb a shook them a few times hoping to get them to at least drop down a little.  I was able to get “some” in a box I had sitting on the ground but they’d just gather back up in the same place.  Lol…..They weren’t very happy after dropping that far to the ground and sent the dog running for cover.  They were checking out the bait hive on top of my hydroponics pretty good so I decided to just leave them to do their thing.  One thing I noticed at the bait hive was that there seemed to be some fighting going on.  The only thing I could figure was that there were scouts from multiple hives checking it out. ???  Eventually, the swarm out back vanished but activity at the bait hive didn’t seem to diminish much.  Yesterday I retrieved a pineapple size swam and got them setup in a nuc.  Today, I got home from work just in time to catch a swarm on video, moving into the bait hive. 

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2014, 10:12:16 pm »
Nice catch!!
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2014, 10:12:41 pm »
now how cool is that!!!! loved the video, thanks!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2014, 10:14:03 pm »
Well done!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline jb63

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2014, 12:57:27 am »
Way to go rog.Nice video.

Offline rrog13

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2014, 07:14:15 am »
Thanks ….All! I was fortunate to get home in time to get it on video.  They’ve been looking at this bait hive for a while.  A couple times this past week I lifted the top and had several scouts overnighting in it.  I figured it was just a matter of time before they closed the deal and moved in.  I came out of winter with two very strong hives.  In the past two weeks, I made 3 splits and have acquired two swarms.  That makes 7 total.  My equipment stash is getting low and the year is just beginning.  I thought I was prepared for the year....I guess that's what I get for thinking.  It’s amazing how fast the bee yard can grow sometimes.  I hope everyone's year begins as blessed as I feel mine has.   :)

Offline jb63

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2014, 03:12:55 am »

I finally caught something.

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2014, 03:33:39 am »
What am I doing wrong ?    I can't seem able to get an enlarged image of the pics.
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2014, 06:33:10 am »
What am I doing wrong ?    I can't seem able to get an enlarged image of the pics.

That is the size that was uploaded, there is nothing to enlarge.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Beeboy

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2014, 10:06:24 am »
I have a question about these. If you use pulled comb in the frames for a swarm trap, how do you keep the moths out?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Offline jb63

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2014, 10:40:23 am »
Sorry about the pics. not working,I fixed them.
I have a question about these. If you use pulled comb in the frames for a swarm trap, how do you keep the moths out?
So far I have never had a problem with wax moth.I did order some Az bta for my stored frames.If you treat the comb with that it takes care of wax moth. http://www.worldwidebeekeeping.com/forum/index.php/topic,835.msg10561.html#msg10561

Offline JanO

« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2014, 11:18:01 am »
I decided to go ahead and build 2 30L traps and put them out a few days ago baited with 5 foundationless frames and LGO.  Now comes the hard part...waiting to see if a swarm will move in.  The last couple of days have been warm and sunny and I did notice a little bit of interest, but the next week or so is suppose to be rainy and cool, so not counting on much to happen soon.  That doesn't seem to keep me from checking on them regularly though.   I'll try to post pics later. 

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2014, 11:59:58 am »
Did the 5 frames fill the box? If not, finish filling it or you will have a mess. They will not use the frames until all open space is filled with comb.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein