Author Topic: Seeing Eggs on Comb  (Read 12721 times)

Offline Crofter

• ex pressure welder/steamfitter; now a tinker
  • Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
Seeing Eggs on Comb
« on: January 02, 2014, 12:37:22 pm »
Pictures of eggs on new wax and on new dark plastic foundation. The natural coloured foundation is just as hard to find them on as wax. They do darken up after a few rounds of brood though.

Frank

Offline mamapoppybee

Re: Seeing Eggs on Comb
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 01:02:25 pm »
love how you can really see the comb being drawn!

Offline Marbees

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 01:45:38 pm »
Camera is a great tool for beekeepers with bad eyes I discovered last year when taking a picture of a new queen.
Got home uploaded pictures on my laptop and to my surprise found a beautiful laying pattern, frame was full of eggs, wall to wall.

I can hardly see eggs on a lighter comb without magnifying glass.
Bee Remarkable

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 02:54:04 pm »
Nice Pics! Good to see eggs without a magnifying glass again. 
   I had Lasik to fix my eyes.. ALL it really did was switch me from being near sighted to far sighted.  Used to be able to see eggs EASILY, now I cant find them even with reading glasses, have to use a magnifying glass... know there's a name for it, hooks on your glasses and folds down.. now the hard part is remembering to put the reading glasses on BEFORE the veil..
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 04:07:54 pm »
nice pix crofter, i like the black foundation, seems to help me a little better, but i use cheaters and like marbees, a magnifying glass as well.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 05:20:43 pm »
Yeah Baby, black plastic for brood, white for honey supers! (yet one more advantage)  ;D

I had PRK done when I turned 40. I went from 20/200 to 20/20 in an instant. But......they said "we've given you perfect vision for a 40 yr old, your eyes will age like the rest of you".
Back to glasses the last 6 years or so. I can still see eggs, it just takes me longer.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline rcannon

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 08:31:03 pm »
I got multi focal contacts about a month ago and love them. So much better than glasses. It's like looking at a HD tv.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 09:47:50 pm »
"I got multi focal contacts about a month ago and love them. So much better than glasses. It's like looking at a HD tv"

LOL!!!! :laugh:
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Crofter

• ex pressure welder/steamfitter; now a tinker
  • Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 10:33:17 am »
I have been tri focals for a while.  A fellow I use to work with had another close up panel near the top of his lenses  for closeup when welding overhead; this on top of the other close and medium panels at the bottom. It used to almost make me dizzy when being close to him and looking him in the eye. They were one busy looking pair of glasses but they worked for him!
Frank

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 05:18:06 am »
of course once you go one step down the defined biological pathway (when the egg first turns larval) things are much easier to see < at this stage even if you can not see the very small larvae then the larval food tell you everything you need to know and the background color of the foundation is less important.

if you get to the point of rearing a few queens and do decide to use the grafting method then the color of the comb and/or the color of the background if very very important.  very black comb or the black plastic foundation sheet is important in making this process easier.