Author Topic: Cut Comb Honey Production  (Read 20374 times)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Cut Comb Honey Production
« on: January 07, 2014, 11:28:04 am »
this is my method of producing cut comb honey. if you are interested in producing comb honey for the first time, with minimal expense, using foundation-less frames, and equipment you already have, this is a great method to try or use, and a great way to get started, especially if you want to experiment and try it and don’t want to invest in extra, expensive equipment. this method works very well with a very strong hive and and a very strong nectar flow.

i run 8 frame medium supers. this will work for a 9 frame setup as well. the foundation-less frames(one or two per super, depending on the strength of the hive), are placed off center between drawn frames used for liquid honey extraction, so i would have 6 or 7 drawn frames and one or two foundation-less frames to equal 8 total frames in a medium sized super.

a girl could make her own frames, okay, a GUY could make his own frames……. :D but i just use the regular frames. i don’t use any starter strips, and i do melt a bead of beeswax in the grooves of the top and bottom bars of the frames to get them started, so the bees have a head start and are not wasting their energy to fill these grooves in, because they will. i also had someone fabricate a stainless steel cutting tray for me, larger than the cutting tray i initially purchased from walter t. kelley, but the kelley tray works great to start out with.

my cut comb honey will weigh anywhere between 412 to 530 grams or more (14 1/2ozs to 1lb 2 ¾ ozs or more) and i sell by the gram, .03+ per gram, so anywhere between $14 and $20 for a section. ross rounds and section squares typically weigh about ¾ of a pd, or about 12 oz., or 340 grams. in my area these sell for anywhere between $12 and $15 or higher.

once customers who love comb honey find you, they will make tracks to your door to purchase it. the other nice thing is you can cut it up in smaller slices and use it as chunk honey in jars.

enjoy!

"
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline mamapoppybee

Re: Cut Comb Honey Production
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 11:42:43 am »
thats a great how to for us nebies river thankyou

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 01:13:31 pm »
Boy o Boy I love me some comb honey!  :P

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 04:08:30 pm »
I would love love love some comb honey! But for now, my fourth season, I just want to get some honey period! And with the encouragment of riverbee and Glenn, that just might happen!
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Moots

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 05:16:57 pm »
riverbee,
Great video, thanks for making and sharing...

I'm just headed into my second year, but trying to do some comb honey is on my list of things to give a try.

I had a pretty decent Summer and Fall harvest for my first year and have just about sold out of it all.  I made up a little creamed honey which has been well received and have had a few request for comb honey.  I've given "some" thought to trying ross rounds but think I'll take your approach for starters. If I can find the time, I might try a having them build directly into mason jars as a novelty item.

Anyway, I "assume" the time in the freezer is a necessary precaution to deal with wax moths and other potential critters...am I correct?

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 05:50:18 pm »
"I "assume" the time in the freezer is a necessary precaution to deal with wax moths and other potential critters...am I correct?"

yes that's correct moots,and you can also store the squares packaged, in a ziploc, if need be for longer term storage/sales.  doing this keeps the face of the comb nice and white, and also prevents honey running and pooling beneath the cut comb. once removed from the freezer, let it come to room temp before removing it out of the ziploc, this prevents moisture from collecting on the face of the comb in the packaging.

"I just want to get some honey period! And with the encouragment of riverbee and Glenn, that just might happen! "

...... :D well jen you have my encouragement!  we will ALL do our best to get you there this season, so that you can taste the sweet success of your labors, and the bees too.  hang in there!
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 07:13:51 pm »
Thanks riv- been hangin for 3 seasons, one more sure won't hurt  :D
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Marbees

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 11:47:34 pm »
This is a foolproof method of comb honey production. This is how I produced comb honey in my second season.
There are other ways requiring more equipment and more attention from a beekeeper....
riverbee, thanks for posting :)
Bee Remarkable

Offline minz

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 04:07:14 pm »
Funny, second year I cut out some comb to cure the ‘we want honey’ chant. I figured it would be and easy undertaking if even I could do it.  Next couple of years I tried to get some and the bees only wanted to store honey in the drawn old, ugly frames!

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 04:53:17 pm »
your welcome marbees, this is an old method, but it sure does work, and like i said minimal expense.  great for new and old beeks alike to try out for comb honey before investing in the equipment sold to produce it.

minz, what method did you use?  this one? 
Forum Sponsor

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 12:17:40 pm »
was curious if anyone is trying for cut comb honey, or comb honey this season, and what method are you using?
Forum Sponsor

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 03:02:11 pm »
 I haven't try it yet, but I am having a few people asking for it and if I get a few more I will be trying it next year, may even if I don't for I would like to have some comb honey my self and your way looks easy if I can get the bees to build it.

Ken

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 03:20:00 pm »
I will be trying that exact method, except with deep frames.  I already have my supers arranges with two blank frames/super with the nicest drawn frames I could find next to each.  I am using wood frames that blew out in the extractor, so there are starter bits of was all around.  I figure this is better than throwing on a super of drawn comb, because it keeps the wax secreting bees busy.
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 10:04:57 pm »
nothing better than cut comb honey.  When cutting the comb I always leave the first two or three rows of cells at the top for a guide for next years frame. ;)
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 01:15:41 am »
ken, if you have a good strong colony and a good flow on and a super on, just put one blank frame in this season, the bees will fill it out, you will be amazed at how quickly they draw comb, fill it and cap it....good luck! 

pete, very cool!!!  i have never done this method with a deep frame, just mediums, so give us a pic or two and an update, i would be interested in how it turns out for you!.  also, you should have some nice straight comb honey frames setting them in between the nicely drawn frames you selected.  good luck to you too!

"nothing better than cut comb honey"

ditto riverrat!!!! 
Forum Sponsor

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 06:56:38 am »
I have always wanted to, and even have 10 cut comb shallow supers just waiting. What I will probably do instead (for now) is just slip a frame or two of foundationless in a couple of my medium honey supers till I have more time.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 08:03:45 am »
Thanks for sharing this Riverbee!
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 09:32:27 am »
It works just like that too.  I tried it last year after seeing her original thread on this.  My top bar honey comb is just as simple.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 01:13:37 am »
okay, anyone try for cut comb honey this season?  pete?  from your earlier post was curious if you tried this in your deep frames? 
Forum Sponsor

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 09:10:42 am »
Some of my foundation-less frames i made into several jars of chunk honey. I did one square of comb honey just to see if I liked it or not. Yeah, baby! Anyway, I didn't drain it like you did, but maybe next year, I might do some more.