Author Topic: Propolis honey  (Read 5568 times)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Re: Propolis honey
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2023, 01:10:16 pm »
I mixed the honey and extract today and it looks the color of chocolate fudge.  Tastes pretty horrible and 30 minutes later the taste still isn't gone.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2023, 03:34:34 pm »
I mixed the honey and extract today and it looks the color of chocolate fudge.  Tastes pretty horrible and 30 minutes later the taste still isn't gone.  Ted
Hm, maybe it was too much propolis?
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2023, 05:30:06 pm »
Im going to say yes, too much propolis.  I'll add another pint of honey and re-evaluate. Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2023, 11:46:51 am »
I mixed a quarter cup of the propolis honey into enough honey to fill a pint jar.  It still has a very strong "bite" to it.  I think I'll mix a quarter cup of the new propolis honey into another 1 and 3/4 cups of honey an re-evaluate.  I'm afraid I'll lose track of how much propolis is actually in the jar although with no real dosage to cure...whatever I'm not sure it matters.  Ted

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2023, 01:45:08 pm »
Hi Ted, I'm wondering what you are trying to accomplish here? I sure appreciate all of your experimenting, because I'm curious as well.

Are you trying to make a 'medicinal honey' that tastes the same as honey?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2023, 04:33:26 pm »
I mixed a quarter cup of the propolis honey into enough honey to fill a pint jar.  It still has a very strong "bite" to it.  I think I'll mix a quarter cup of the new propolis honey into another 1 and 3/4 cups of honey an re-evaluate.  I'm afraid I'll lose track of how much propolis is actually in the jar although with no real dosage to cure...whatever I'm not sure it matters.  Ted
If you haven't added any more propolis, then you still know how much propolis you have in there.  Just keep track of how much honey you are adding, and that will be the new ratio. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2023, 01:17:55 pm »
Hi Jen!  From what I understand the gal believes it will help her with allergies and boost her immune system among other things. I've seen no scientific research but sometimes believing it helps, helps. Anyway, my goal is to come up with a propolise honey thats not bad tasting and yet has a little propolise in it.  She said it tasted like crystalized honey and "something else". I'll give her the ratio and let her purchase the extract/tincture so she can mix up her own.

15thmember: thanks for the reminder!    Ted

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2023, 01:31:21 pm »
THERE you go! Let her mix it up!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2023, 02:48:42 pm »
Ted, agree with Lazy. Self psychology is wonderful medicine in itself. If she mixes it herself she will find the right taste that she can handle.

May I ask what type of alcohol you used to make the tincture?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2023, 07:27:39 pm »
Hi Jen, everclear is what i use.

Lazy!  You tapping this year?

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2023, 11:04:28 pm »
Nope.... SapZilla is ready! But, still have quite a bit of syrup left over from last year. Will probably sell some of it. Most of it....   Went from 220 lbs and just hit 176 yesterday by cutting out carbs almost completely, no other change. SO.. carbs are out. Wife is on the same diet, but hasn't lost anything. I think she is cheating!!!!
   Trying to figure out how best to expand and get more hives cranked up this year..  Package bee prices HURT!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*