Author Topic: Hive manipulations  (Read 8786 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Hive manipulations
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 10:01:11 pm »
I've heard of this book, I'll check it out.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Marty68

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 07:45:53 am »
lazy how long do you leave it on with that temp before turning off oven

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 09:20:40 am »
Might be an hour, might be two or three.. I just make sure I shut it off before going to bed.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2014, 09:54:55 am »
So i have been looking into what I want to do with my bees this winter, and after looking at the projections (another brutally cold winter), I will definitely be providing a supplement for the gals this winter.  I know this has been discussed before (what you put out) and have had answers from pure sugar to fondant to candy boards.  My question is this.  Is one easier on the bees than the other?  With fondant being a bit more pliable and the candy hard, one would think there are differences, but haven't found any info on this yet.  and for those who just put pure sugar on, what do you put it on / in?  As of right now, I am leaning towards candy as it seems to be the easier of the fondant / candy options.  I am still unsure as to the pure sugar method?

Thanks.
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2014, 12:40:50 pm »
I lay a sheet of newspaper on top of the top bar frames leaving about a 1/2in. gap all around the outside edges. I take a spray bottle of water and lightly spray the newspaper,then spread about a 1/2in. layer of sugar on top of the paper, then spray the sugar lightly with water, then another later of sugar, then water, continue until you have as much as you want to put on? (i usually put 8lbs. on). You will have to make a shim to accommodate the height  of the sugar, i make mine about 4in. high. I find this helps keeping condensation from the lid dripping on the cluster. This is the only way left for me, because i have been barred from the kitchen from the last time i made fondant in my wife's kitchen. ;D Jack

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2014, 02:04:59 pm »
That's what I've done in the past.  Newspaper, sugar, empty super, top.  Easy-peasy.  In the spring, retrieve unused sugar and make syrup.  Sugar acts as a desiccant, too.

I have heard of people just putting a bag of sugar on top of the frames with a small hole in the bag.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2014, 05:51:33 pm »
hmmmm.  that does sound a lot easier than making candy or fondant.  is there any issue with the bees having to invert the sugar back?  I think i read that the vinegar in the fondant accomplishes that? 
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 01:59:45 pm »
I lay a sheet of newspaper on top of the top bar frames leaving about a 1/2in. gap all around the outside edges. I take a spray bottle of water and lightly spray the newspaper,then spread about a 1/2in. layer of sugar on top of the paper, then spray the sugar lightly with water, then another later of sugar, then water, continue until you have as much as you want to put on? (i usually put 8lbs. on). You will have to make a shim to accommodate the height  of the sugar, i make mine about 4in. high. I find this helps keeping condensation from the lid dripping on the cluster. This is the only way left for me, because i have been barred from the kitchen from the last time i made fondant in my wife's kitchen. ;D Jack

That is also my method..  I have also started using some sugar cakes.. You can read about it here;

http://outyard.weebly.com/wintering.html

I am still undecided if its worth making the sugar cakes or not....
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2014, 03:10:01 pm »
Throwing this out on the table. I was told and have read in dependable sources that drivert sugar is the best way to go for winter feeding. It's a smaller grain sugar that is easier for the bees to get into their mouth and easier to digest.

OH! and for those that don't know, powdered sugar is out of the question because it has corn starch in it and that will make the bees sick ~ Unless of coarse you want to put pure cane sugar into a blender and grind it down your self. That's not a bad option if you don't mind the work  :)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2014, 06:29:53 pm »
"drivert sugar"

also known as 'bakers sugar' or 'superfine sugar'.  some grocery stores do carry it.  i think mann lake does, and maybe other beekeep suppliers. it's ground into smaller crystals as jen said.  bakers12 might know where to buy it? they still need available water in the hive....moisture....
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2014, 11:30:41 pm »
Costco sells it, 50 lb bags, don't know price

Offline Marty68

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2014, 10:40:43 am »
ok i've tried the candy board that is on here but i think i had a problem. did what it said and the top seems to be liquidy, if that's a word lol, but with a crust on top of it. i left it in for a few hrs turned off oven then let sit over night. is it suppose to be like this  or is there something that i did wrong. help  lol

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2014, 05:44:33 pm »
marty, did you use scott's recipe? the link i sent you, or another recipe?
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor