Beekeeping > Pests and Diseases

Prototype Vaporizer - after johno's design

(1/5) > >>

Lburou:
Until the bees learn to accommodate varroa mites or some other 'Golden BB' is discovered to control them, we are stuck with varroa in our hives.  The easiest control for me is Oxalic Acid Vaporization (OAV).

I've ordered five 'treatment free' queens from tecumseh, but the tinkerer within me has had a run for the  last few months as I worked on a copy of the ProVap 110.  Johno's version is what gave me courage to embark on the journey of building one myself.  I convinced 6 fellows in my local Bee Club to band together and make group buys to keep the cost down.  This is our latest prototype:

I plan to use this through the entrance without having to do anything but insert and vaporize, Like this.

Any comments or questions?   :t3816:

neillsayers:
That's great, Lee! I have been following Johno's thread for some time. I'm not in a situation to build one, but i plan on ordering one soon. :)

Were you planning on insulating the bowl like he did?

Lburou:

--- Quote from: neillsayers on March 30, 2019, 03:18:04 pm ---...Were you planning on insulating the bowl like he did?

--- End quote ---
I think that is a good idea Neil.  I have some insulation but haven't installed it yet because things keep changing with our device.   :)

rober:
lou- is that the my pin ta4 rnr controller? what are you using for the O.A. reservoir?

Lburou:

--- Quote from: rober on April 06, 2019, 09:06:57 pm ---lee- is that the my pin ta4 rnr controller? what are you using for the O.A. reservoir?

--- End quote ---
Yes it is rober.  The C-100 did not work for us.

We used a 1.5" copper cap, 1.625" length of 1.5" pipe and half of a 1.5" Coupling.  Then, we melted 6063 aluminum and combined it with a bit of tin solder to lower the melting point and cast about a half inch  of aluminum in the bottom of the vessel.  Like this:

Doing this allowed us to drill and tap a hole for a threaded temp sensor for an easy and robust install to monitor temperature.  The aluminum slug in the bottom retains heat as well as making a mount for the sensor and mounting bolt.  Make sense?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version