Author Topic: Dallas  (Read 2806 times)

Offline Dunkel

Dallas
« on: June 12, 2015, 02:18:49 pm »
My wife has a conference/training in July.  She wants me to go with her. The problem is I would have to entertain myself for 3 days while she is in meetings.  Do any of you Texas beekeepers have any ideas of what a dude could do or see in the area?

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
Re: Dallas
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 10:03:25 pm »
Well, it really depends on what kind of stuff you like to do. The Dallas World aquarium is pretty awesome as well as the Perot museum. If it happens to be around the 13th, you could come on up to McKinney (about 20 min.) and come to one of the best beekeeper meetings around. You could even be my guest except I may not be able to make it next month.  Check out www.guidelive.com You can find some good stuff there maybe.

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 10:26:10 pm »
Almost, I'll be there the ninth through that Sunday morning.  I have a hot date in Austin at four for chicken poop bingo. :D  I plan on just chilling out for a few days but I don't do well with down time.  My last vacation with the wife was back in the 90's.  I am always tied up with something and she usually is the one to go places in the summer.  I am excited to see different plants and terrain. I have never been west of the Mississippi.  Thanks for the invitation to the meeting I would have loved to have gone.   

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 08:54:35 am »
Dunkel:

I may not able to entertain you, but if you like to be alone on 800 acres you could visit my ranch.  It's about 150 miles west of Dallas.  Think recliner, A/C and a freezer full of beef with live hog targets and some ponds full of channel catfish. 

I am moving my home in late June, and I don't know if I will be able to join you.  If time permits, I could drive you to the Brown County ranch.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 03:19:39 pm »
Dunkel:

I may not able to entertain you, but if you like to be alone on 800 acres you could visit my ranch.  It's about 150 miles west of Dallas.  Think recliner, A/C and a freezer full of beef with live hog targets and some ponds full of channel catfish. 

I am moving my home in late June, and I don't know if I will be able to join you.  If time permits, I could drive you to the Brown County ranch.

whoa!!!  How far are you from Tyler Texas?  I might just accept the offer to ride along with the wife next time she has to go there!!!     Freezer full of beef with live hog targets?   Im in!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 09:17:55 pm »
Lazy shooter that sounds like heaven.  I have about half that to roam on at home without the swine.  That would have been the experience I was looking for.  The wife decided to postpone the conference until next year though.  She ends up having to take a group of FBLA kids to a national competition in Chicago.   I told her it was just because I had agreed to go for once.  I would have loved to meet all you Texas keeps, maybe one day.  Thanks for all the invites.  You guys are all welcome here in Eastern Kentucky any time.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 10:33:12 pm »
Lazy shooter that sounds like heaven.  I have about half that to roam on at home without the swine.  That would have been the experience I was looking for.  The wife decided to postpone the conference until next year though.  She ends up having to take a group of FBLA kids to a national competition in Chicago.   I told her it was just because I had agreed to go for once.  I would have loved to meet all you Texas keeps, maybe one day.  Thanks for all the invites.  You guys are all welcome here in Eastern Kentucky any time.

I have never spent any time in Kentucky.  I have driven across it a time or two and liked the looks of it, but I have never spent any time there. 

About us West Texans, were nothing if not friendly, courteous and hospitable.  Come on down when you wish.

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 12:07:04 am »
I have never spent any time in Kentucky.  I have driven across it a time or two and liked the looks of it, but I have never spent any time there. 

About us West Texans, were nothing if not friendly, courteous and hospitable.  Come on down when you wish.

I was born in KY (although I don't remember it), and had my basic training and AIT at Fort Knox, KY, then I went to Ft. Hood, TX for a year and a half.  I must say that both have pluses and minuses.  KY is a lot like TN, and the people in TX reminded me a lot of TN (of course TN got the name "Volunteer State" by going down to TX to help them out, so there's a lot of commonality there), but it's kind of flat there.

If I remember right, the last mile marker for I-10 is 920 miles or so, so Texas is a BIG place!
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs