Author Topic: The Great Sunflower Project  (Read 3726 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
The Great Sunflower Project
« on: January 12, 2017, 08:07:30 am »
http://www.greatsunflower.org/

Someone recently posted under Bee News that the Rusty Bumblebee is being added to the endangered species list.  Perhaps members of this forum would be interested in joining me in the Great Sunflower Project.  The premise is simple.  Individuals sign up, plant Lemon Queen Sunflowers, and spend a few minutes observing and recording pollinators that visit the sunflower's blooms.  The project managers are hopeful that participants will make observations at least 3-4 times.  Lemon Queen Sunflowers aren't essential to the project, but it adds consistency to the data collected. One can observe any pollinator friendly species in their yard, a park, nature trail, etc.  This sounds similar to the Audubon Christmas Bird Count.
I decided to participate when I noticed there wasn't enough data collected in the Midwest to record the results.  Sounds fun to me and will be a challenge to keep the squirrels from trashing the sunflowers.  >:(

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Re: The Great Sunflower Project
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 09:07:20 am »
Looks like a fun and worthy cause.

I'm going back to explore the page in more detail, and discuss joining with wife.

Thanks for the link!
Never argue with drunks or crazy people