Author Topic: A new way of protecting bees against varroa  (Read 6357 times)

Offline Edward

A new way of protecting bees against varroa
« on: February 21, 2014, 06:31:54 am »
A new way of protecting bees against varroa mites with a pollen comb delivery system 

http://beecare.bayer.com/media-center/news/news-detail/a-new-way-of-protecting-bees-against-varroa-mites

mvh Edward  :-P
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best-" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: A new way of protecting bees against varroa
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 06:40:40 am »
Interesting read. Interesting method of application. I wonder how much pollen would also be left behind at the front door?
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 09:44:20 am »
I have read about this several times since last fall, but they still seem to be struggling with the delicate balance part..
   While I think its a pretty good idea, and am interested in the results, I have some fear of the COST of the final product, IF, a final product is ever released.
    Syngenta and Bayer both seem to be doing a LOT to quiet the squeeky wheel.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 08:18:11 pm »
    Syngenta and Bayer both seem to be doing a LOT to quiet the squeeky wheel.
Agree!

Unless I am missing something, I don't see much difference between this device and Mite Away Quick Strips.  Bees brush up against the Quick Strips and then pass the chemical around as they move around the hive.  At this point, we don't know what the "anti-mite chemical" is in the Bayer product.

Offline Edward

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 11:55:47 pm »
Unless I am missing something, I don't see much difference between this device and Mite Away Quick Strips.  Bees brush up against the Quick Strips and then pass the chemical around as they move around the hive.  At this point, we don't know what the "anti-mite chemical" is in the Bayer product.

This is what I Think also, there may bee a benefit that the strips don't come into contact with the bees wax and might lesssen the contamination of wax.
But it might bee negative that it maybee doesn't work on new bees beefore they fly out of the hive.

mvh Edward  :P
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best-" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 10:56:50 am »
Edward, at least the we know Mite Away Quick Strips will kill where they breed (as so their advertising reads).

I would think that the chemical, what ever it is and what ever method you are using, would be spread through normal bee movement in the hive.  The entire hive doesn't have to come in contact with the chemical.  Much like queen pheromone being spread around the hive.
And in the "look what we are doing for you" category: http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-agriculture/insecticide-maker-continues-charm-offensive-beekeepers.html

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 11:46:34 am »
Just as I always though, just a put on by Bayer crop science.

Ken

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 12:35:20 pm »
I have always considered it as a show, while also hoping it might produce something beneficial.

From the last paragraph;
    Given that neonicotinoid bans elsewhere have resulted in significant growth of bee populations, there's a strong case to be made for applying the precautionary principle.

In reading what is going on in countries that banned neonics.. it started out that there was little effect, in fact some claimed no change at all, and that was TRUE, but as time passes, and continues to pass, the changes are beginning to become apparent.
   People have this problem with time. If they do something and see nothing happen because of what they did in the short term they think its fine. When they make changes and nothing happens in the short term they think the change was ineffective.  We live too short a time to see the effects of some of our actions. Just the proof that these insecticides are showing up in the wax should be enough to convince anyone that there is a danger, but... money is all powerful.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Gypsi

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 04:55:15 pm »
It says Bayer, I think I will pass. I did buy some of their home defense 4 or 5 years ago, sprayed it straight on queen carpenter ants and they kept on walking til I squished them as they were preparing to take flight, this is after I had wrapped my hot tub in plastic and sprayed inside the plastic then sealed it up. Cost me a hot tub and part of my front porch. 

But they are really good at killing bees it seems.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 05:51:33 pm »
Where do the drones go.....?
Lee_Burough

Offline CpnObvious

• My Photobucket Bee Album
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 08:00:18 am »
I've read this article a couple of times now and I think I'm missing two key points...

1)  The bees kind of have to squeeze through the "gate".  Would this not also prevent them from bringing pollen in, similar to a pollen trap?

2)  The are folks that don't like queen excluders because they feel the bees have to "force" themselves through the grate and it's irritating to them and shortens their life (not sure the truth behind this, but I've read and heard it in multiple locations).  Would this not be doing the same thing?  Lesser of two evils, maybe?