Author Topic: Today’s inspection  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Lastfling

Today’s inspection
« on: February 26, 2020, 01:10:30 pm »
Took the opportunity to go into the upper brood boxes of my 3 hives before the next cold front comes in later this evening.

All 3 hives had good brood patterns with brood of all stages.  Even saw the queen in one which is a rare event for me. Also saw drones in all 3
Hives and killed a few hive beetles in one.

I’ve had sugar bricks on all hives but there were at least 4 deep frames of capped honey in each box I looked at.

I saw one queen cup on the bottom of a frame in one hive but no other signs that swarm prep was under way.

Let the new season begin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Today’s inspection
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 03:30:57 pm »
. Also saw drones in all 3

I saw one queen cup on the bottom of a frame in one hive but no other signs that swarm prep was under way.

Let the new season begin

Wow!  In February.  Drones present too!  Was there an egg or larvae in that queen cup?  Sometimes bees will tear those down and use the wax else where.

Offline Lastfling

Re: Today’s inspection
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 03:43:38 pm »
There was nothing in the cup.  Location was suspicious is all.

It surprised me the amount of capped brood present.  I suspected some was up as they’ve been bringing in pollen for several weeks now as weather permits.  A cold front is suppose to move in tonight so back to the hi 40 low 20’s for a few days.  A regular weather roller coaster of late.