Author Topic: another brain related gaseous emission  (Read 4990 times)

Offline rober

• Gold Member
another brain related gaseous emission
« on: November 12, 2019, 08:04:57 pm »
I've been trying to keep some sort record when inspecting hives. seems like I lose my pen or notepad or forget to bring them or my pad gets so sweat soaked it's not legible, & on & on. early this summer I was getting ready to haul some metal to the scrap yard, some of which was small pieces of white coil stock as in the stuff that facia gets covered with. I also use it on outer hive covers. I picked up 8" x 10" scrap & a light bulb lit up in my tiny little brain. SO- I now staple scraps of white coil stock to the inside surface of outer covers. i also run a small bead of caulk on the edges of the metal before stapling so that hive beetlescannot grt under & hide.  I write down the dates  & what I find & include queen installation data. I then take a photo with my phone & transpose the info into a notebook at home ( if I remember ). i use a sharpie marker. when it gets full or out of date it can be erased with a rag soaked with denatured alcohol or laquer thinner.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
Re: another brain related gaseous emission
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 10:25:20 pm »
Nice... and the price is right! :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 04:48:57 am »
Cool, rober.  I know a guy that writes that info with a sharpie, but on the top of the outer cover.  I did it once, and didn't like the messy look.  Your method is neater.
You paint the underside of your outer covers?

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 10:13:17 am »
I paint the insides if I use oxboard. a lot of the materials I used are scrounged from construction site scrap piles. I do not trust oxboard & would never use it on a building project of my own.  in a humid environment it can fall apart. it also has some chemicals in it that the paint will seal in. and sometimes i'm just getting the last bit of paint out of my brush.