Author Topic: A few questions... from a new beekeeper  (Read 3307 times)

Offline dutchlion

A few questions... from a new beekeeper
« on: June 15, 2015, 10:45:17 am »
Good Morning y'all!!

My bees have been in their hives since April 11th. They seemed to be doing pretty well. I was so fortunate to have a master beekeeper come by and help with a hive inspection about a month ago. I have since made the adjustments he recommended. I gave them a couple of weeks to adjust and being working with the super on the brood box and to the new hive location (it was moved only a few feet forward and angled properly).

Since then, I have 1 hive that seems to be doing well (Wilma's hive) and the other that seems to be struggling horribly (Betty's hive)! Wilma's hive has several of the frames in the super drawn out and they are busy foraging and filling it. Betty's hive has none of the frames in the super drawn and they are not nearly as active. Also, there are about double the number of bees in Wilma's hive as in Betty's hive. Betty's hive has very dark brood comb whereas Wilma's brood comb looks much more healthy. Thoughts? Comments? I'm concerned that I'm going to lose Betty's hive.

Also, on an unrelated yet related note... I'm also a chicken keeper. I put ACV and garlic in my chicken's waterers about x1 a week (sometimes x2) and the bees seem to love it! I see many more bees drinking from the waterers with the ACV and garlic than without. Why? I'm just very curious. Are they drawn to the scent or would it be for health reasons that they would seek this out?

I appreciate your help and hope you have a great day!

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
Re: A few questions... from a new beekeeper
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 11:34:42 am »
Need more info? were they working hives when you got them? or nucs, ect (wondering where the dark comb come from)? Have you seen the queen or larva in the weak hive? What is ACV? Jack

Offline dutchlion

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 04:24:37 pm »
I installed them as packages on April 11.

I am comparing the brood comb colors in the two hives and the activity strength- as per simple observation.

I have not 'seen' the queen in the weaker of the hives, but there are some eggs and larvae- but not as much as in the other hive by far. I have observed what appears to be dead bees in the comb- the only parts that I can see are the abdomen and there is no movement for several minutes. The difference between the two hives is quite impressive. The hives, for reference, are about 6 - 9 inches apart.

ACV- apple cider vinegar (I use organic with "the mother" in the waterers). It has a multitude of health benefits for chickens. Wondering if it does for bees.....

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 04:28:03 pm »
You might want to ask that beekeeper to look at betty's hive again.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein
The following users thanked this post: dutchlion

Offline dutchlion

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 11:38:12 am »
I think that's a very good idea! thank you!

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 01:06:36 pm »
If your "mentor" is not available, take pictures of the brood frames in the weaker hive and post them.  We may be able to deduce some things that way.  It's normal for hives to vary in strength.  Some queens are just duds and will never produce properly.  After 2 months, the hives should be approaching full strength, with maybe 15 deep frames drawn out and covered with bees.  That benchmark is of course dependent on weather and the starting strength of your colonies.
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline Garden Hive

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 08:44:08 pm »
Hey dutchlion,
If you don't get intouch with your local keep, let me know and I should have some time on friday. i could come by and take a look at them with you. Depending on your time availability and of course the local weather. Need to avoid the extreme heat we have right now. I have some to check in Lexington early morning so I could head that way after. Tim

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 10:34:02 pm »
Garden Hive, If I haven't met you yet, I would like to. Come on up Friday and we will go check it together, unless dutchlion objects. Then I'll introduce you to Beez Needz, the new bee supply house here.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Garden Hive

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 04:44:13 am »
Thanks for the invite. I didn't catch the humor that, You were the Local Keep  :D
Y'all let me know about what time and I'd love to come by if I can. Tim

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 07:37:10 am »
I'm free all day Friday. Dutchlion can choose the time and you can come an hour or two before or stay awhile afterward.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline dutchlion

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 01:06:32 pm »
hi @gardenhive I just spoke with @iddee and we've set a time for tomorrow! thank you so much! it's always such a great opportunity to get to spend time with other keeps!