Author Topic: 10 deg C. bees were flying  (Read 2140 times)

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
10 deg C. bees were flying
« on: February 20, 2016, 10:36:06 pm »
Went through a hive in the back yard Just an over wintered single from a cut out last year. The population was down to covering 6 frames. Gave them syrup and pollen patty a week and half ago when the temp was 5 Deg. C. they have downed 1/2 gallon of syrup and 1/4 of the pollen patty. She is laying well and has capped brood on 4 of the frames with a band of larva and eggs under neath. The bees have expanded the broods nest to the max for the population of bees in the hive. The weather for the next 2 week is forecast for more of the same warm weather that we have been experiencing so the little chance of brood kill before they have a hive population doubling hatch out. and for all that think bees wont take cols syrup the temps have been - 5 to -1 C. at nights warming to 5 to 7 C. during the day. The bees have consumed 1/2 a gallon from the feed pail and it looks like they have placed about 1/8th of it in cells.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline pistolpete

Re: 10 deg C. bees were flying
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 12:36:32 am »
right on.  It was a nice day on the coast too.  Bees were bringing in nice yellow pollen.  I fed syrup and did an OAV treatment on them all.  I let the mites run wild last year, so now I plan on 3 rounds of OA a week apart to re-set back to low levels.
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 06:48:09 am »
Apis, I'm picturing a single deep with an inverted bucket centered on 4 frames of brood. With the brood area at 35 C., I would think the rising heat would easily get the sugar water above 13 C.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 01:05:43 pm »
Glad you posted 10 degrees C. Easier to convert in my head. :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 02:43:49 pm »
It was the USA that had decided to switch to metric first back in 1974-75. The Canadians went along as to not be the odd man out. The states bailed before implementing it but by then the auto industry had already switched in preparation for the switch to metric.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 04:44:05 pm »
apis,

I have long railed against the silliness of this.  I made my living working on and building manufacturing machinery. My last job was with a hardwood trailer flooring plant. It was highly automated and most of the equipment was made in Canada, (naturally, that's where most of the wood is.) The equipment made in Quebec would have one standard and the equipment from British Columbia had another. At this moment I can't recall who was Imperial and who was Metric but it could be a pain at times. :D
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a