Author Topic: rabbits and gardens!  (Read 10925 times)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
rabbits and gardens!
« on: June 22, 2016, 12:01:06 am »
this year seems to be the year for the rabbits to really get after our peas, beans, carrots, colrabi, etc..........!  frustrating!  it's a good year for vegetable gardening for us this year, but the rabbits are really prolific.  we have all sorts of critters, but the two major culprits are always deer and bunnies, unless a bear and/or cubs decides to dine on whatever is growing, usually the melons.  not too often.

my prince put up a plastic fence around a large portion of one garden.......the one with peas, beans, carrots, etc......it keeps the deer out, but i told him the bunnies would chew right through.........and so they have. many little holes through it........ :D i went out to the garden one evening last week when he was hollering "I GIVE"........... :D
i said i told you they would chew right through that, but......ya know........... :D

we have two very immensely large gardens, and it is not very cost effective or practical to construct fencing to keep all the critters out not to mention the labor involved.  what fencing that works for one critter, does not work for another.  we just try and protect the veggies that seem to get hit the hardest.  i just said go back to the chicken wire........
he doesn't like chicken wire for some reason.......... :D  well, maybe next year he will.

i came across this video.  just goes to show how determined rabbits can be to get to the good stuff in a garden...........

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
Re: rabbits and gardens!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 03:45:00 am »
What really irks me is when they take one bite out of everything! Why not make a meal out of one item! >:( :eusa_wall:
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline MarkCase

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 06:33:31 am »
I grow ghost peppers and Carolina Reaper peppers and make my own hot sauce.  Not only does it sell well, but it make EXCELLENT rabbit and deer repellent.  I use about 8 ounces in a hose end sprayer and spray everything they are trying to eat.  Anything with fur takes one bite, and runs away.  After about a week of this, they don't come back.

Don't worry, the hot sauce washes off the veggies.  So my wife and son can eat them!  Yea, I have to reapply after a rain, but it is cheap and easy for me to apply.
The following users thanked this post: Perry

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 06:37:31 pm »
Mark,

I like that idea-think I'll try it. Thanks :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 06:46:54 pm »
hehe, I have learned that the MAIN reason I plant a garden is to lure in the critters I want to GRILL     :yes:
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 09:16:35 pm »
hehe, I have learned that the MAIN reason I plant a garden is to lure in the critters I want to GRILL     :yes:

You would force that on a rabbit, making it sit there under a bright light while you interrogated it?
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 11:28:48 pm »
"I grow ghost peppers and Carolina Reaper peppers and make my own hot sauce.  Not only does it sell well, but it make EXCELLENT rabbit and deer repellent.  I use about 8 ounces in a hose end sprayer and spray everything they are trying to eat.  Anything with fur takes one bite, and runs away.  After about a week of this, they don't come back.
Don't worry, the hot sauce washes off the veggies.  So my wife and son can eat them!  Yea, I have to reapply after a rain, but it is cheap and easy for me to apply."

thanks mark, we have used this concoction in the past,

get an empty milk jug. 

mix up 1 gallon of water with below in the water, then pour into the milk jug:
1. 5 or 6 good sized mashed cloves of fresh garlic.
2. a generous teaspoon of crushed red peppers, could probably substitute hot sauce! never thought of this! hotter the better!
3. 1 tablespoon of  dish soap, smellier the better.

pour the mixture into the gallon jug, shake it up. let it sit for a day or two, and shake it up whenever during that time.
put in a hand sprayer or a garden pump sprayer, have at it. spray the plants the bunnies are after. once the plants are established the bunnies don't bother them so much.  might have to repeat, and respray if it rains.  it does work. 

next year, we are going back to better fencing to keep them out.

oh and ps.............i don't grill rabbits......either by interrogation or charcoal........... :D :D  :D
Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 01:46:36 am »
Mrs River.. they are VERY good! Also healthy and lean!  Sauteed onions, real butter, a dash or three of garlic salt...     ;D
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 12:25:25 pm »
Hey Squirt, put the fence on the out side of the post next time,so bigger varmints (coons, ect) can't push through. 8) For some reason the rabbit population has exploded around here? they're not afraid of you like when i was growing up? I've had them run out from under hives about 10 ft. and set and watch me work bees or hop around eating clover like i wasn't there? I've seen as many as 3 in our garden, but they haven't ate anything, not even the green beans? I have seen deer in the buckwheat, but they haven't bothered the sweet corn or green beans. you can't walk anywhere in the fields without jumping 3 or 4 rabbits ??? Maybe i need to slack off on shooting Coyotes? Jack

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 12:27:11 am »
scott, when i was younger/growing up........don't find the need now.   ;D

jack, we are going to re-work fencing for next year to keep the dang bunnies out..... they are the ones that get the peas,beans, carrots, etc, all the tender tasty veggies....... this year seems more challenging.  deer get these too, but the high plastic fence has kept them out. but gee, doesn't keep the little squat chewing squirts with big ears out....... :D

the only thing one can use is chicken wire to keep these buggers out.  and now it is being sold in a purty plastic coated green..... :D

Forum Sponsor

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 12:56:52 pm »
Sweet Wife builds hoops over every bed with PVC pipe and covers with chicken wire. Seems to work well.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 01:52:32 am »
"Sweet Wife builds hoops over every bed with PVC pipe and covers with chicken wire. Seems to work well."

neil, you have a pic?  btw, thanks, didn't think to build the chicken wire over the hoops, just other chicken wire configurations........... :D

some of our garden endeavors  has included the use of tulle fabric and hoops.  only thing is bunnies will dig under, and we have experienced them digging under what they can't get through or chew through.
Forum Sponsor

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 07:56:42 am »
Those stinkers can get through anything if determined.  Fortunately our little Lizzie loves to chase them and in the process, I have seen them squeeze through a chain link fence.  Could not believe my eyes!

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 09:31:47 am »
Les,
If the head squeezes through the body will follow. :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 12:16:28 am »
what neil said!.............. :D :D :D
Forum Sponsor

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 09:15:31 am »
One thing I can say for sure is if you have a rabbit problem you don't have a coyote problem.

Buttermilk Fried Rabbit

Prep Time: 4 hours, not including brining time

Cook Time:  25 minutes
•2 to 4 cottontails, cut into serving pieces
•2 cups buttermilk
•2 tablespoons Italian seasoning, or mix together 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme and 1 tablespoon dried parsley
•1 tablespoon paprika
•1 tablespoon garlic powder
•2 teaspoons cayenne, or to taste
•1 1/2 cups flour
•1 heaping teaspoon salt
•About 2 cups vegetable oil

1.Mix the buttermilk with the all the spices except the teaspoon of salt and the flour. Coat the rabbit with the mixture and set in a covered container overnight, or at least 8 hours.
2.When you are ready to fry, pour the oil into a large pan — a big cast iron frying pan is ideal — to a depth of about an inch. The general idea is you want the oil to come halfway up the side of the rabbit. Set the heat to medium-high.
3.Meanwhile, take the rabbit out of the buttermilk and let it drain in a colander. Don’t shake off the buttermilk or anything, just leave it there.
4.Let the oil heat until it is about 325°F; this is the point where a sprinkle of flour will immediately sizzle. When the oil is hot, pour the flour and salt into a plastic bag and shake to combine. Put a few pieces of rabbit into the bag and shake to get it coated in flour.
5.Set the coated rabbit pieces in one layer in the hot oil so they don’t touch. Fry for about 8 to 12 minutes. Fry gently — you want a steady sizzle, but nothing raging, and you definitely don’t want the rabbit to just sit in oil. You might need to adjust the heat. Turn the rabbit pieces and fry for another 10 minutes or so, until they are golden brown. The forelegs will come out first, followed by the loin, and the hind legs will come out last. You will probably need to fry in batches, so just leave the uncooked rabbit pieces in the colander until you are ready to flour them up and fry them. Don’t let the floured pieces sit.
6.When the rabbit is good and fried, let them rest on a rack set over a paper towel to drain away any excess oil. If you are cooking in batches, set this in a warm oven.

Rabbit Pot Pie 

1 rabbit, cut into serving pieces
~ water
~ vinegar
~ salt and pepper
~ flour
~ 2 medium onions, chopped
~ 2 carrots, diced
~ 3 potatoes, diced
~ pie crust or biscuits 

Soak rabbit in equal parts of water and vinegar overnight.

Remove rabbit from water/vinegar mixture and dry. Season with salt and pepper to taste and roll in flour.

In a stew pot, large skillet or dutch oven, heat a little oil and brown the rabbit quickly on both sides.

Add enough water to cover the rabbit. Cover and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Add the onions, carrots and potatoes. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender.

Thicken the broth with flour. Use 2 tablespoons of flour for each cup of broth.

Pour into a greased baking dish and top with the pie crust or with biscuits.

Cook at 375 degrees until the crust is golden brown.

;D  Al

your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 09:25:48 am »
Deer were easy for me to keep out of the veggies, I had a heart TO heart talk with them and told them I would not put them in a favorite recipe if they left the veggies to eat. Seems to have worked along with the electric fence just under waist high.

Never the less I like the taste of venison summer sausage and other things.

Herb-Crusted Venison Filets with Horseradish Sauce

Ingredients
 3 – 5 lbs Broken Arrow Ranch Boneless Leg Filets or Boneless Loin (Axis, South Texas Antelope or Elk)
 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
 Salt, Kosher, to taste
 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
 3 tbsp cracked black peppercorns
 2 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
 2 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped

Sauce
 1/4 cup sour cream
 1/4 cup mayonnaise
 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
 1 tbsp Dijon mustard

Rub filets with olive oil. Sprinkle a generous amount of salt over filets. Rub filets with mustard. Mix pepper, rosemary and thyme then season meat with the herb mixture. Cover or wrap the meat with plastic and allow to sit at room temperature for 1 hour. Alternatively, meat can be seasoned in advance and placed in the refrigerator – just pull meat from refrigerator 1 hour before cooking.

Heat oven to 425°F or prepare a medium-hot grill. Roast/grill venison filets to rare or medium-rare. For rare pull meat when internal temperature is 115°-120°F, about 15-20 minutes total cooking time. For medium-rare pull meat when internal temperature is 120°-125°F, about 20-25 minutes total cooking time. Slice filets across the grain into 1/4 inch medallions and serve with the horseradish sauce.

Sauce:
Mix sour cream, mayonnaise, horseradish, and mustard to create the sauce. Chill until ready to serve.

Serves 6-8

Smell Up The Place Deer & Onions

deer loin or roast
 ~ 3 - 5 lbs yellow onions
 ~ 1 stick butter, maybe more
 ~ salt
 ~ pepper
 ~ garlic powder 

Slice the meat as thin as you can get it. Best done while still partially frozen.

Slice the onions into thin slices and then in half.

Melt the butter in an iron skillet. Turn on the exhaust fan!

Place 1 - 2 inches of onions in the hot butter. Place the meat on top of the onions. Do not mix together.

Season to taste with the salt, pepper and garlic powder.

Cook over medium to medium-low heat until the meat starts to change color.

Flip the meat only and season again with the seasonings.

Cook until the meat changes colors again and then mix the meat and onions together.

Serve with hunks of bread and your favorite sides.

After a while you will have taught tasty animals to leave your property or get eaten.

;D  Al

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 12:44:53 am »
uhhh, thanks al, but i am not looking for recipes, just looking to keep the bunnies out of my garden........... :D :D :D

and btw, we do have coyotes, but we have those who hunt them and some hunt them with dogs, and those of course who like to trespass on property to do so....... seems population of coyotes are down, and the bunny population this year is way up......hmmm, balance?.........

also i don't like italian seasoning, oregano, rosemary or thyme......... :D
Forum Sponsor

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 02:34:20 am »
also i don't like italian seasoning, oregano, rosemary or thyme......... :D

Or italian queens!!!
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 05:45:10 am »
The recipes were a scuttle way to say shoot the varmints and eat them. Same with the deer.
Our law is can protect crops and live stock from varmints any time. But you sure would have a fight on your hands if you shot one of the states garden raiding deer here in Michigan.

;D  Al