Author Topic: Rattle snakes? Little green ones under pallets from california.  (Read 14012 times)

Offline keeperofthebees

Rattle snakes? Little green ones under pallets from california.
« on: February 09, 2014, 03:48:22 am »
I've seen all kinds of snakes moving around.  Have any of you guys run into snakes under bee pallets on a sunny day?

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
Re: Rattle snakes? Little green ones under pallets from california.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 05:03:48 am »
lol in a past life I was a herpetologist. there are no such critters as a green rattlesnake, that is this a no rattlesnakes that come to mind are green in color and snakes and of themself are not danger to you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 06:45:05 am »
If it as a rattle snake it would not be under the hive in the shade but would be on the sunny side of the hive socking up the sun and the reflected rays off the side of the hive.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 07:17:43 am »
We have some of those Garter snakes here. I had one yard in particular back in Lunenburg that was always and adventure when lifting hives (manually) to go to pollination. It was usually good for a couple of weird dances and some laughter.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 08:35:44 am »
I like snakes about as much as I like bees, so more snakes just mean more fun.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Walt B

• Red Gate Farm
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 09:38:47 am »
We've got snakes here, but they generally don't want anything to do with humans.

I have seen a rattler, but the most prevalent are Prairie King snakes and the Texax Rat Snake: a non-venomous, ill tempered critter that will attack if provoked.

We left a bucket, partially filled with water on the porch one summer night. This is what we found the next morning:

It kind of surprises a person. Of course, it doesn't hurt to watch your surroundings on the way to the garden and hives. This one was having a nice rest in a Vitex bush.

I really do like the wildlife around here...not for everybody, but it suits me.  ;)

Walt
Red Gate Farm
Stamp Out Racism

Offline keeperofthebees

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 10:03:31 am »
We've got snakes here, but they generally don't want anything to do with humans.

I have seen a rattler, but the most prevalent are Prairie King snakes and the Texax Rat Snake: a non-venomous, ill tempered critter that will attack if provoked.

We left a bucket, partially filled with water on the porch one summer night. This is what we found the next morning:

It kind of surprises a person. Of course, it doesn't hurt to watch your surroundings on the way to the garden and hives. This one was having a nice rest in a Vitex bush.

I really do like the wildlife around here...not for everybody, but it suits me.  ;)

Walt

We like wild pine snakes up here for keeping the mice away from the extra equipment.  I know a fella that got bit on the hand from a snake hiding in a cool spot under the milk tank.  Mice love making nests under stuff up here with grass & anything else that they chew up.  I watch where I put my fingers, and keep an eye out for slide trails in the grass along the river.  I know a couple spots where cottonmouth hang out, and live in old gopher holes along the river, etc.  Are they doing rattler bounties in texas?  Out in montana they had bounties in the 70's....

I was always told to stay away from "biting worms", and was retold the story of the young kid down the road many moons ago that found a nest of baby timber rattlers and used them for fish bait.  It worked on me!!!

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 10:04:34 am »
I've found copperheads under my hives in my beeyards 60 miles north o home.Snakes don't bother me as long as i can see them and there not around our living quarters (poison ones). The farm i live on is a Century farm, and there has never been a poison snake seen or killed on it that any family member ever heard of 8). I have seen many garter snakes, black snakes, Salt and Pepper king snakes,Bull snakes,blue racers, and Water snakes. All snakes are protected in Mo. but i won't allow a poison one around the house or garden areas that could harm someone, Law or No law. Jack

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 10:25:16 am »
"" I know a couple spots where cottonmouth hang out, and live in old gopher holes along the river, etc. ""

What state is that in? There are no natural cottonmouths within 500 mile of Wisconsin.

Timber Rattlers are live born, not egg layers, so they don't have nests. When they are born, they scatter in all directions, and are totally on their own. No parental care whatsoever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Agkistrodon_piscivorus_range.png
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Walt B

• Red Gate Farm
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 11:33:30 am »
There are a couple of towns (Sweetwater and Ogelsby) that have Rattlesnake round-ups. I avoid them.

I make it a practice not to reach into holes (I learned that with eels while snorkelling), and "stomp" my approach where there might be snakes...the vibration alerts them since they don't have ears.  :) I also remember the old saying, "If you hear it rattle, you better skidattle."

We caught a rat snake in the chicken coop once...he had helped himself to an egg. My wife picked him up with barbeque tongs by the head, supported his body with her other hand and put him in the pasture. Moral of the story is we'd rather have rat snakes than rats.  :laugh:

Walt
Red Gate Farm
Stamp Out Racism

Offline keeperofthebees

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 03:25:51 pm »
"" I know a couple spots where cottonmouth hang out, and live in old gopher holes along the river, etc. ""

What state is that in? There are no natural cottonmouths within 500 mile of Wisconsin.

Timber Rattlers are live born, not egg layers, so they don't have nests. When they are born, they scatter in all directions, and are totally on their own. No parental care whatsoever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Agkistrodon_piscivorus_range.png

Sure there are.  Theres all kinds of weird stuff jumping around in freight barges in the mississippi, along the bluffs, etc.  No timber rattlers are supposed to exist in southwest wi, but they're here.  If it's living in a hole in the ground it's a den or a nest.  Either way or you don't go sticking your fingers in it.

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 04:20:47 pm »
Sorry if you've heard this story before!

I live on a state highway, so there's usually roadkill somewhere.  One day I saw a rattlesnake that had been ran over many times.  Stretched out, it would have been about five feet long.

Anyways, a couple of days later, I was down at the barber shop getting a trim, and I mentioned it to the barber.  He got real excited and asked, "How big around is it?"

I couldn't exactly figure out what he was asking or why, so I said, "It's flat!"
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline ablanton

• Blanton Apiaries
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 06:25:24 pm »
Black Widows under the hives seem to be a bigger problem than snakes for me.  May see an occasional snake pass through the yard, but I've never seen them hang out around the hives.  Did, however, come very close to grabbing a Black Widow with an ungloved hand last summer.  She was hanging out under the bottom board of one of my nucs.
Andy

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 01:29:26 am »
Twice last summer I killed Copperheads by the pond, Havent had any issues with timber or Prarie rattlers yet, but have seen them when Morel hunting. We also supposedly have Massasauga Which I grew up also calling a rattler all the pit vipers here were called rattlers except the copper head.  Havent seen any of the Massasauga rattlers since I was about 18, but usually see a copperhead or two when fishing the river..    I am with jack. Venomous snakes near the house don't fit well.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 10:51:25 am »
Lazybkpr lol are you aware that NEVER in recorded medical history, did anyone die from the bite of a copperhead. Truth be told most people if you put a gun to their head could point to  real copperhead and be right. Timber rattlesnakes and prairie rattlesnakes are geographically separated species meaning the two would almost never have occasion to meet.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 10:51:53 am by barry42001 »
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 11:02:44 am »
Barry, a recorded death from a copperhead was reported last year in Mo. Jack

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 11:10:04 am »
really, there must have an extenuating circumstances. although for the person bitten that wouldn't matter much.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 11:27:42 am »
Looks like 3 reported to wiki in the last hundred years. Jack, maybe you should send the Mo. report to wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_snake_bites_in_the_United_States#2010s
― Shel Silverstein

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 12:18:14 pm »
Some of the reporting is battling, copperheads are not found in wet environment's, there's a reason why they are called upland moccasins.  there are scientific reasons why the Copperheads bite is not considered fatal under normal circumstances. the quality of their venom is rather poor,
they're venom glands do not hold enough to kill a healthy human under normal circumstances. mind you you might not want to go to a local disco tech and dance the night away after a bite but under normal circumstances with treatment there's nothing life threatening about to Copperhead bite.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 12:19:26 pm by barry42001 »

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 01:25:59 pm »
i just googled the death of the missouri guy.....a couple articles,
"described the cause of death as “heart failure from venom toxicity.” further~"Erik McSpadden, deputy coroner in Carter County, said Brown had been complaining of chest pains for several days before he was stricken. McSpadden said his office listed the cause of death as a heart attack, with the snake bite as a contributing factor.
"It definitely contributed to his death," McSpadden said. "It’s hard to know if it was the venom or the excitement he experienced from being bitten."

Man dies after copperhead bite

Copperhead bite kills camper
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor