Author Topic: Nosema or Normal Results from Being Cooped Up All Winter  (Read 8986 times)

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
Re: Nosema or Normal Results from Being Cooped Up All Winter
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 07:52:58 pm »
Thanks for the input friends.  Jen, thanks for the link.  I have read him but will take a closer look at his thoughts. 

As for Fumidil, I understand a keeper would need to replace the comb and all that jazz...Just don't think it is going to be a fun process to use it if I ever do.

Offline DLMKA

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 10:13:47 pm »
My state inspector doesn't recommend fumagilin or fumadil. He says a honey b healthy drench or mixed with syrup is better.

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 10:40:54 pm »
My state inspector doesn't recommend fumagilin or fumadil. He says a honey b healthy drench or mixed with syrup is better.

This is a good compromise for me.  It's about time to distribute pollen patties and mine have the honey b in it.  I am sure the concentrate is not strong.  Would have to order it by itself.   

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 06:56:46 am »
it looks to me to be quite normal amount of defecation considering the severity and length of the bad weather.  your friend is quite correct in that nosema a. would often clear itself up when the first good pollen and nectar came into the hive.... not real certain if this applies to nosema c*.... but I want to say no it does not.   as an alternative to fumigillian any thing that will encourage the bees appetite is though to be beneficial < and may well be exactly why the first flush of new pollen and nectar would clear up this problem.

*an often overlooked symptom of nosema a vs nosema c is there is often not the level of defecation with nosema c as that was associaterd with nosema a.   

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 07:37:11 am »
Thanks for the additional information Tec.  I certainly don't have the right type of microscope to tell any difference between apis and ceranae.  And, then if I did, I understand it would be difficult to tell the difference anyway since the structures vary only slightly.  The Fumildil doesn't kill the spores right?  So, a keep would have to decontaminate the combs, warm temps, or replace right?