Beekeeping > Swarms, Cut Outs, Trap Outs and Bee Trees

The Swarm That Left

(1/3) > >>

Les:
After removing a swarm from a chimney (with a vacuum), we left them screened in an eight frame deep for the night at the site where we got them.  We did not know if we got the queen. Came back the next day very early and brought them home.  Took off the screening and placed several branches in front of the hive.  That morning I watched them make orientation flights.  Later in the day I popped the lid to add some sugar syrup and they were gone!  Should we have left them screened in longer?  I felt so bad because my hubby worked so hard up on the roof to get them!!  Never again are we doing a roof swarm call!

Some Day:
Did you place a frame of open brood from another hive in the swarm box?  That will often anchor them to the new hive.

Jen:
Hi Les, I've had this work every time except once, and they left the queen behind. I put together my box like this, going up:

Bottom board, metal queen excluder, deep or medium box, frames including a frame of brood, lid. Leave all intact for 4-5 days, then remove queen excluder. The bees can come and go but the queen can't get out the front entrance.

Bummer that the bees left after all that work!  :'(

Riverrat:
I have had swarms leave.  Its why we should charge to remove.  When I hive a swarm I try to use at least one frame of drawn comb and put a feeder on immediately in the smallest box that is cozy but not over crowded. (to much room they will be more likely to leave)  If I have a frame of brood in different stages I will add to the hive.  The above helps to anchor them in the new home.  Once I have them in the hive I will block the front entrance with grass. They will remove the grass in a couple days if not sooner to make a small door to go and come.  I have had very good luck with this method.  The more reasons you can give them to stay the better your odds of them making a home.  Think about it in a human way.  If you was placed in a large house with no food, furniture clothing, appliances  etc would you be as inclined to stay as opposed to being placed in a home with everything you need.

Bakersdozen:
Thanks for posting, Les.  That's heartbreaking.  It's good to hear about the losses on occasion.  I think we tend to learn more from the losses.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version