Author Topic: Bumblebee Experts! Please help!  (Read 1482 times)

Offline LindsayBrower1

Bumblebee Experts! Please help!
« on: October 08, 2014, 09:06:03 pm »
I received a call from a lady who needs to relocate some bumblebees they found raking... She needs them moved ASAP so the installation of her wood stove isn't cancelled. I did some research and posted to another forum but didn't get the advice from an experienced person on the best way to tackle this would be... I found the upside down flower pot option and I think I would like to do that if I hear any reviews. Thank you!!   ;D

"The earth has music for those who listen"

Gypsi

Re: Bumblebee Experts! Please help!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 11:13:00 pm »
The bumbles should move at first frost.  The new queens will fly and choose new nests.  I do not know how to successfully relocate bumbles this late in the year without killing all of next year's nests or great injury.   If it is freezing and they are still there I would think a really big swimming poll leaf rake dropped over the ground hive and a shovel applied underneath might allow a safe removal to an already prepared location

Post how you do. I've got a bumble nest in a bee tree (with a honeybee nest 4 ft away) that I have talked a tree trimming company into leaving alone until frost and the bumbles leave.