Author Topic: Queenless-Honeybound?  (Read 3732 times)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Re: Queenless-Honeybound?
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2019, 07:33:49 am »
Neil, I'm sorry to here about the toppling of your hives.  Good luck! Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2019, 09:27:18 am »

Since I posted last I have a new problem pop up. The blocks it was resting in on one side sunk until the the whole bench with 4 hives toppled over. I happened to look out there before dark and saw it. I went out and saw most of the bees seemed to be clustered in the boxes trying to stay dry. I got a big tarp and covered them all.

:)

That's a great emergency idea! I will store that one possible future use.  I have a few leaners too from all this rain. 

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2019, 09:45:30 am »
Oh no Neil, I hope you were able to straighten out your hives!  I understand the financial expense of beekeeping, I ran out of drawn frames and deep boxes.  Did not want to spend the $ and dragged my feet but
finally had to bite the bullet and spend the $.  The problem with catching swarms is it means you need to provide homes for them.  Good luck!

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2019, 02:54:07 pm »
Hi Les! -waving-

Well all the toppled hives are back together. There was a few fist-sized clumps of drowned bees but the boxes and frames weren't broken. Under the circumstances, I'd say the bees were unusually cooperative.

Holy Cow! I hit 2000 posts!
 :) 
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2019, 08:22:01 pm »
Well Iddee, you were right on as usual. The hive was queenright all along. She started laying in the new comb that was drawn, then coincidentally the flow shut off and the bees consumed most of the nectar stores leaving a lot of of brood comb. Got a light flow going now but I'm not sure what it is, probably clover. Thanks for the advice!  :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2019, 09:34:15 am »
Crossing my fingers for ya buddy. And I had to buy some drawn wax frames this year for the first time, she's a fellow beek and had a bunch stored from last year. $4 a frame, but I had to have them  :)

I just saw this in my inbox from BetterBee. https://www.betterbee.com/frames/adfbcomb10-bettercomb-deep-frame.asp?utm_source=Betterbee+Contact+List&utm_campaign=1cfbd2a138-bettercomb-email-070219_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&ut
$8.50 a frame.  I guess if you were desperate...

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2019, 07:12:47 pm »
B13,

I had heard of this product recently. If, (a big if), queens take to it immediately, it'd be great for building up nuc colonies in a hurry. Would save a lot of sugar syrup during lean times but sugar is pretty cheap. Who knows, may be the next big thing.  :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a