Author Topic: screened bottom boards  (Read 29078 times)

Offline Zookeep

screened bottom boards
« on: December 28, 2013, 07:21:06 am »
getting rid of the last of them, for me they are a complete fail, every hive I have inspected with the screened bottom board has done the same thing. they have abandoned the bottom half of every frame in the bottom box and yet the hives with solid boards are brood right to the board, I am so glad I did not go hole hog and buy a bunch of them.
Springs a week
Falls a Rumor
Winters 2 weeks
the rest is all Summer

[size=150] BeachBum Beekeeper Division[/size]

Offline Cracker

Re: screened bottom boards
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 07:50:06 am »
I've been having the same problem since day one and went on year round,but didn't have a clue why.Thanks Bill!!!!!
GROWING OLD IS INEVITABLE GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 08:15:26 am »
I also stopped using SBB many years ago and have no regrets.

I know many folks believe that the screened bottom board (SBB) helps reduced varroa population because the mites fall through the SBB and can not climb back up or grab onto a passing bee.  This does seem logical, and most people can visualize this process and easily buy into it. The basic premise that they take for granite is that the natural fall off rate of varroa is significant.  I personally do not believe it is.  There are studies that show the proposed benefits of the SBB can be outweighed by the temperature drop if the SBB is left open for ventilation, both in the brood nest where the mites breed,  and in the rate of falling off bees.  So if you're using open SBB, inserting empty frames in the brood nest, using top entrance, or any other method that reduces the hive temperature, are you are helping the population of varroa grow?

I have attached two PDF files showing results of the studies if you want to read them in their entirety.

Quote from: Tucson AHB/Mites Conference RIFA Control
Temperature seems to have more of an impact on Varroa reproduction than most people thought. While 95ºF is "brood nest temperature," that temperature fluctuates some with climatic conditions. By carefully controlling temperature, Varroa were found to reproduce best at 93ºF. Performance was a bit worse at 88-91 and 95º. At the lower than brood nest temperatures, the post-capping period is extended about one day per 2ºF. At higher temperatures the post-capping period is not shortened significantly. However, at "brood nest" and higher temperatures, mite reproduction drops way off. In the same study it was shown that 53% of the mites on brood held at 59-68% RH (normal) reproduced normally but at humilities of 79-85% only 2% of the mites reproduced. Hot, humid brood nests are tough on Varroa. Studies of Apis cerana brood nests showed drone brood is reared at 92ºF (perfect for Varroa) and worker brood is incubated at 96-98ºF (too hot for Varroa). Purposely cooling the brood nest in Apis mellifera colonies by using a "thin" hive lid, open bottom board, simulative feeding to spread brood out, and splitting the brood nest with frames of foundation doubled the numbers of mites on the bees.

Quote from: Experimentation of an Anti-Varroa Screened Bottom Board in the Context of Developing an Integrated Pest Management Strategy for Varroa Infested Honeybees in the Province of Quebec

The antivarroa bottom board must never be used with its bottom hole opened as this leads to a lowering of cluster temperature resulting in ideal conditions for varroa development. As confirmed in 2000, this situation not only negated the beneficial effects of the bottom board, it also resulted in a net increase in the mite infestation rate (29.2% more varroa mites, non significant) as compared to the control group.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 08:22:45 am »
Nice link.
I stopped using them and am trying to cycle out the ones I have. I seem to recall only a 15% benefit would be realized (natural drop) in the reduction of mite levels using them.
I also started to find wax moth becoming a problem in the last couple of years as a result of debris below the screen where the bee couldn't gain access.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 08:32:50 am »
Same here, mine are all being slowly worked out of the system too. I find it also gives ants another entrance that is hard to control along with the stray weed growing up through it.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 08:42:36 am »
I also started to find wax moth becoming a problem in the last couple of years as a result of debris below the screen where the bee couldn't gain access.

Yes,  I like the refer to SBB as "wax moth heaven".  Food falls from the sky and they are protected from the bees by the screen.  I have heard of quite a few cases of weak hives that where taken over by wax moths that multiplied from under the SBB.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 09:35:05 am »

Know of a couple that swear by their SBB's. They claim you need to use a slatted rack to get the bees using the entire lower brood box...   I've never said anything to them about it.. but it always made me think...   Isn't that defeating the entire purpose?    Being CHEAP.. I cant see buying SBB's and then buying racks..   Maybe if I only had three or four hives...
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Crofter

• ex pressure welder/steamfitter; now a tinker
  • Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 10:29:20 am »
Thanks for that info Robo.

I am in a rather cool location compared to a lot of you. My thought is it lowered hive temps for too much of the day to a point where wax making was reduced and the foragers could not get going as early in the day as they were needed for covering brood. I keep my bottom entrances small until they are crowded. Buildup is quicker on solid bottoms.
The screened bottoms are good for doing mite drop counts but they have drawbacks I think.
Frank

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 10:41:00 am »
I'm with ya Zoo....I have went all solid since my second season.

Offline Finally Home

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 11:19:51 am »
New keeper here.  Can one of you post a decent list of pro's and con's so we can learn.  I've heard of the SBB but never used one.  Any other downfalls besides whats been posted?? 

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 12:11:59 pm »
i don't use them finally, and never have, so i can't give any advice or opinion on them.  i'm an old fashioned keep, so i use solid bottom boards.  i tend not to try and fix something that isn't broken and works for me.......lol  :)
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 01:11:49 pm »
I have changed from the open SBB to the SBB with the oil tray because of SHB.  I did that last summer, so I don't have a full year's worth of info on that type yet.  I guess I'll use the SBBs on swarm traps and such, since I don't want to throw them away.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline rcannon

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 08:15:34 pm »
I've gotten rid of my screen bottoms,also. When the bees chased the hive beetles,they would run thru the screen and hang out under the hive until they could sneak back in. I never used the oil trays,just open bottoms for "ventilation", which I thought was a good thing at the time.
I also found that the queens avoided laying near the screen bottom, I suppose because the temperature wasn't as well regulated there.
I'm much more satisfied with solid bottoms and the bees seem to be, too.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 10:10:52 pm »
All your comments are very interesting. I use a sbb because of the ever controversial ventilation thing, and I can get an idea of my mite count with a plastic board smeared with crisco. And after a formic acid treatment, I can easily estimate the carnal damage. I don't like doing the sugar roll, or the ether roll. This next season I'll watch for how the queen broods down on the bottom of the frames.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 11:42:36 pm »
Another reason I like solids is because they are easier to build.  Screens involve so much more when building them.

Offline Finally Home

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 08:21:29 am »
Very good info.

Offline Jacobs

• Which one do I keep?
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 09:43:00 am »
I have had another problem with screened bottom boards.  On a couple of occasions my hives have requeened.  After her mating flight, the queen went under the screened bottom board rather than into the hive.  I wound up with a hive full of highly polished cells and content workers who felt queenright.  I also had a large cluster of bees under the bottom board.  The first time I saw it, it took me awhile to figure out what was going on.  I broke down the hive and dumped the cluster into the hive and reassembled it all.  It was fine after that.  I have seen it one or two times since, and now use sbb only when I temporarily don't have enough solids.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 10:03:14 am by iddee »

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 10:10:11 am »
Has anyone seen this product?  www.bluebees.com.au  Is there any difference between this and slatted bottom boards?

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 10:16:01 am »
My opinion. it is a lot of words used to say nothing. Kinda like a politician talks.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 12:05:33 pm »
Slatted bottom boards around here have went to the way side years ago. I think the SBB is not far behind it.
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter