Author Topic: Hurry hurry hurry-up Spring!  (Read 14614 times)

Offline Edward

Re: Hurry hurry hurry-up Spring!
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 03:39:39 am »
Try using the ( • Add image to post )  up to the left over the box you write your post in.

mvh Edward  :P
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best-" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were.

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 04:02:31 am »
I tried that ---it didn't work.  But I had tried to upload directly from the camera without uploading it to the computer first.  Now I've uploaded to the computer and will try again.

Ahhh--sweet success.

Offline Ziffa

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 11:43:42 am »
Oh Ef! That's beautiful!  a big purple daisy!  My favorite color and my favorite flower.  <3  Thank you for the effort!

The bugs and heat down here in Georgia just get my broccolli everytime.  I give it another go every few years and then get disgusted and ban it for a few.  Someday maybe I will have success!  I love broccoli!

Just dug out from our 2 inches of snow.  :D  left my computer at work so have been in black out for 2 days.  What craziness!

Now I REALLY can't wait for spring!

Thanks all!  Happy playing in the dirt dreams!

love,
ziffa
"There's a spoonful of honey where your heart should be. . ." - The Wood Brothers - Honey Jar.

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 12:01:17 am »
The bugs and heat down here in Georgia just get my broccolli everytime.  I give it another go every few years and then get disgusted and ban it for a few.  Someday maybe I will have success!  I love broccoli!

When do you plant it?  We try to get it out in March so that it's ready by May or June before it gets too hot.  You can also plant it late August/early Sept. so it can grow in the fall.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2014, 01:33:45 am »
My garden has 2 feet of snow on top of 3 feet of frozen ground.  It's currently -17C.   It will be at least two months before the first grass pokes it's head out of the ground.    I suffer from spring fever, more so since I got bees.  February just seems to drag on forreeeeeeeeever.             

I don't have much time to garden, so it's mostly peas for me.  Low maintenance and the kids love them.
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline minz

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2014, 07:40:03 pm »
Getting close. First weekend of Feb I put my cold frame on my raised beds and start my Peas.  Tomato’s and pepper seed in the house. Still not certain what I am growing this year but not going to do pumpkins or corn and that leaves me ton of additional space.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2014, 07:55:23 pm »
I think you should raise girls. You do a beautiful job of that.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2014, 11:17:04 am »
So long as they are BEES...   the REAL girls are the most wonderful thing in the world so long as they like to cuddle in your lap and watch cartoons.. when they outgrow that.. well, thats when a man starts to learn the true meaning of TERROR, and thinks to himself...   maybe jail wont be so bad...
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Ziffa

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, 09:03:45 am »
Wow Minz - your garden is beautiful!  And so is your daughter!

Pete- i've tried early spring and fall.  THis year I didn't get them in in time and they never grew.  We had a weird fall.  Last spring I thought I had them early enough, but the bugs still got them.  I'm still growing my soil, so I will try again next year when I've got another years compost and amendments in it.  Started with hard red clay, and it's getting there, but still needs work. Someday!

I think I'll be starting my inside seeds this coming weekend.  Gotta clear the starting shelf and get the lights re-hung.

General Lee saw no shadow so I'm crossing my fingers he's right!  Sorry to all you yankees!  but then all of us good southerners know Punxsutawney doesn't know nuthin'!  :P  :laugh:

love,
ziffa
"There's a spoonful of honey where your heart should be. . ." - The Wood Brothers - Honey Jar.

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2014, 10:02:10 am »
looking forward to dirt time! I will be burning off and tilling old veg garden for sunflowers and corn. Going to plant out three more fruit trees this year.  Revamping that ugly pool yard you can see in satelite pick to a raised bed area as well as putting in blue berrys along the north end of that fence. Going to plant all kinds of  things. making kids window boxes for there club house that will be planted with strawberries so they have snacks. I just <3 spring!

Offline Ladyleo191

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2014, 09:10:33 am »
Ha!  ok, then well we'll just see what kind of trouble I can get into with them Iddee  :laugh:

Edward - I love love LOVE my dandelions and am totally with you on that.  Who would want to get rid of such sunny little things greeting you each day???  I'm sure my neighbors hate me too because I make as many wishes on them as I can to try and grow more:  /puff!

love,
ziffa

Ziffa, I planted gourds for my hubby one spring, so I can tell you they vine like watermelons or cantaloupes. Give them plenty of room, otherwise treat them like any squash.  Mine did fine.

Offline Ziffa

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2014, 07:08:58 pm »
Thanks Lady Leo!

I am putting them in my biggest bed.  We have horrible vine-borers here, I am glad you pointed out they are like squash.  Not sure I would have thought to take precautions with them.

Ohhh I hope they come out!  I've always wanted to play with gourds.

love,
ziffa

Offline minz

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2014, 07:39:54 pm »
I think I jinxed myself.  We got back from Wisconsin to 4” of snow and it has not stopped except to add a ½” of ice. 
I do not think I am putting peas in the ground this week!
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n599/6minz/Garden/DSCN0110_zpsb25708df.jpg

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2014, 08:21:24 pm »
......... :D
that's funny minz.....well not funny, but you know what i mean!
great pix, thanks!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Ziffa

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2014, 09:29:19 am »
Oh my, minz! 

I got to play in the dirt all day on Sunday and my soul feels so refreshed!! your picture reminds me of why i don't live in the north.  I think I would go absolutely crazy in February and be certifiable by March.

HOWEVER!  On the silver lining side, you can grow a lot of cool weather crops that I can't down here!  And you get to make snowpeople!  :-\

It's going to snow here again this week.  That means most likely working from home and looking fornlornly at my just started beds. (nothing in the ground, just started turning them a little).  And driving my husband batty by peering at my seed starters murmering "grow, grow, grow".   :laugh:  But it is going to be 60s again next weekend.  CAN'T WAIT!!!

It's coming!! It always does ! Sometimes its so hard to remember that.

love ,
ziffa

Offline heinleinfan

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2014, 08:11:39 pm »
I got a small greenhouse for Christmas and so I *finally* am able to start seeds indoors in the next couple of weeks.  I've rigged up a light table for them and have a heating mat on the way, because my house stays pretty cool, too cool for seed starting.

Still months to go before anything can be planted outdoors, even with the greenhouse, but being able to start seeds indoors will help stave off the spring fever I've been feeling all winter!

Offline Ziffa

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2014, 09:06:29 am »
I hear you Heinleinfan.  I have full seed starters and a table of potted plants waiting to be transplanted.  We had an absolutely gorgeous weekend - in the 70s, and it was really hard not to start planting.  But it will be in the upper 20s at night by the end of the week, so a little more waiting.  /le sigh. 

I feel like that commericial - " open. open. open"  waiting till I can put that first plant in the ground. 

I am going to plant radishes this weekend.  Thank god for radishes.  :laugh:

love,
ziffa

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2014, 06:14:22 pm »
ziffa that reminds me of peter rabbit the tale of the floppys bunny. :)

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2014, 11:25:39 am »

looking like i shall have blooms next week!

Offline Beeboy

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2014, 12:51:22 pm »
I have potatoes up. Onions & garlic. The carrots, broccoli, & cauliflower didn't make it.

I'm planning on corn, green beans, okra, squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, watermelon, cantaloup. Plus I have grapes to put out, along with strawberries, rhubarb, asparagus, raspberries, blueberries.

Why am I sitting in front of this computer when there is so much work to be done!