Author Topic: Black Locust  (Read 7861 times)

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Black Locust
« on: May 06, 2017, 07:31:49 am »
I ordered some bare root Black Locust trees from Musser Forests.  They should arrive today.  I have ordered various things from them in the past and have had very good success.  I plan to pot some of the trees up and make them available to members of my local bee club.  Black Locust blooms only last about 7 days.  In this part of the country the bloom is often rained on and beat to death.  But, when the weather cooperates it is a superior nectar.

Offline Newbee

Re: Black Locust
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 12:36:32 pm »
That's a great idea!
I noticed their prices drop significantly when you get up in higher quantities, I wonder if your group would do a 'group buy', and get like 100 or something to share? I know I'd put in a few bucks for a handful of trees if my group did that.

- K

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 11:08:47 am »
Newbee, you should suggest that!
A prominent member in my bee club announces to the club when he is placing an order with the state conservation organization.  He places the order for anyone interested.  As I recall you have to order in bundles of 25.  For many, that's a lot of trees. It's also usually done in January.
Trees arrived yesterday via Fed Ex.  Great looking roots.  The trees themselves were about 2 ft. tall, with roots they were about 3 ft. tall.  I potting them last night.  Potting them allows me time to get my bearings.  It also gives them a month to get established so that I can take a few to my bee club's event and put some in the silent auction fund raiser.
I believe they will be a popular addition.   

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 05:57:42 pm »
I thought I might add more to the black locust story.  I live next to a city park and I thought it would be great to have some black locust in the park.  There are a lot of native trees there.  I called the city arborist and left a message asking if it would be ok to plant some of my 2 yr old trees.  He left me a message and was very pleased with the idea.  He said he would get back with me about location and how to keep grounds keeping from mowing them down.  The arborist also said that he would like to see more black locust throughout the city. 
You never know until you ask!

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 09:45:58 pm »
I have several here on the farm, they bloom around May 10th in this area (they were early this year?) Once they get established they are aggressive  and will sprout up all around, i dig them up and take them to my out yards. When the weather is right the honey from them is to die for and is very light in color.Jack

Offline Michelle

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 06:56:30 am »
When I was out for a walk this winter, I picked up a few seeds from a black locost tree. I have 3 of them growing in pots and will be planting them outside soon!
“One can no more approach people without love than one can approach bees without care. Such is the quality of bees...”
― Leo Tolstoy

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 08:21:59 am »
When I was out for a walk this winter, I picked up a few seeds from a black locost tree. I have 3 of them growing in pots and will be planting them outside soon!

That's cool, Michelle!
Jack, it's really good to hear from you.  I heard that last weekend the black locust were blooming around Trenton, MO.

Follow up with City Arborist:  The arborist called me yesterday.  We have a game plan set.  I will tend the 2 yr old trees in pots this summer.  In mid October, I will give him a call back.  He will come out and discuss possible locations.  By then the grounds mowing will be over for the summer and traffic in the park will have dropped off.  There is a strong potential for mischievous kids to tear things up.  I have witnessed plenty of this.  I will plant the trees in late Oct- early Nov.  Next spring, they should really take off because they have had the winter to develop extensive root systems. 
I am a big proponent of fall planting.  I do that often with perennials that I purchase after it's a little too late in the spring for planting.

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 01:26:35 pm »
Would you like seeds???  The lot next to me is filled with black locust. The seed pods are my nemesis!  I spend many hours pulling seedlings out of my veggie and flower beds.  Although, I do appreciate having the trees next to us.  When they have a good bloom year, the honey is amazing!

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 09:05:49 pm »
Black locust we call thorny locust here...  Yes they do bloom, but on more than one occasion i have been impaled, usually in the middle of the night trying to catch up to my hounds. i can tell you that those thorns hurt worse than getting nailed by a big river cat. Very pretty and filled with bees when they do bloom.   I can also send a few hundred pods if you want to start some.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 11:47:56 pm »
Scott, are we talking about the same locust tree? What we call thorny locust  have big brownish thorns that get 2 to 6 inches long and bees do work them. The Black locust have clusters of white flowers when they are in bloom, their thorns are about 1/4 to 1/2 inches long. Jack

Offline Some Day

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 02:10:06 am »
I think Scott is talking about the thorny locust or honey locust tree.  Most of the people in my area call them black locust which is not actually correct.

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 06:03:31 am »
To clarify, I am talking about Robinia psuedoacacia.  https://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=rops

Offline Michelle

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 08:41:17 am »
the trees I started from seeds are still alive and about a foot tall. I planted 3 in the field and hope they make it! I haven't watered them at all and I only cut the grass out there. No babying them!
“One can no more approach people without love than one can approach bees without care. Such is the quality of bees...”
― Leo Tolstoy

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 01:14:36 pm »
Both Black Locust and Honey Locust are common here. Black Locust is prized for honey production but is not very dependable. In a good year it can be phenomenal. Honey Locust is known for it's wicked 7-8 inch long thorns all over the trunk. Those thorns can flatten a tractor tire or send one to the ER. Voice of experience! :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 06:54:42 pm »
Ahh, had to look it up, always called them honey or thorny locust. Didnlt even know there was a variety that didnt have thorns!   Learned something today!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_locust
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 07:38:25 pm »
Both Black Locust and Honey Locust are common here. Black Locust is prized for honey production but is not very dependable. In a good year it can be phenomenal. Honey Locust is known for it's wicked 7-8 inch long thorns all over the trunk. Those thorns can flatten a tractor tire or send one to the ER. Voice of experience! :)
My sister stepped on a thorn once. It went right through her shoe and meant a trip to the doctor.
When I think of Christ on the cross with a crown of thorns, those are the thorns I envision.
Neil, you are correct about Black Locust not being dependable.  Usually a storm blows through around the time they are in full bloom and ruins the crop.  But when everything goes just right...wow!