Author Topic: Coyotes  (Read 6827 times)

Offline Dunkel

Coyotes
« on: April 10, 2016, 11:09:17 am »
Lost a calf to coyotes last night.  It was a calf that had issues since birth.  Once he was born he sucked then stumbled over a bank found the remnants of a woven wire panel and got his head and leg through one of the squares.  Of course this was on the coldest night of a mild winter.  I cut him out and he was ok but always a little slow. May have been slow from the get go.  I hate to get them started killing calves.

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Coyotes
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 11:30:55 am »
We got them also. Lost my oldest and most "mama" cow to them a couple of weeks ago. We will just hope she gave up her life to protect the twins that were born the same night.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 11:49:41 am »
G3,

What a huge loss. I've never had trouble like that where they take on a grown cow. I have had them take sheep, kids and calves. One Pyrenees dog can go long way to protect them-two even better. They are worth the feed.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 12:06:41 pm »
It could be that mama cow never got up after birthing the twins. Coyotes are scavenger cleaning up nature. one never knows for sure.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Retroguy

• Retroguy
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 03:15:02 pm »
I've seen them around here.  We think it was a coyote that ran off with one of our barn cats.  My kid saw it happen.  Cat was a fighter, came back the next day none the worse for wear.  We here them howling north of here.
I always stand behind my work...
It makes me harder to find.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 09:54:09 pm »
I live in serious coyote country and have never lost a calf or cow to coyotes.  I don't believe coyotes can kill a healthy cow.  Coyotes love small dogs, cats and other household animals.  CHICKENS

Coyotes are probably more beneficial animals.  The eat dead animals and simply destroy rat populations.  Unfortunately, they also kill ground nesting birds (quail and young turkey) and rabbits.  I'm sorry for the loss of a calf as that would be about a one-thousand dollar potential loss to me.

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 11:35:50 pm »
A lot of folks around here are putting donkeys in with the cattle or other livestock to keep the coyotes away.  Down here, kudzu is a major headache and I believe will eventually take over the world.  So Chattanooga put goats out to eat the kudzu.   The coyotes started killing the goats so they put donkeys out with the goats.  Lots of people swear by it.  Just some food for thought.  :)

For those that don't know, this is what kudzu looks like:

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 11:07:40 am »
Great Pyrenees dogs, donkeys and llamas are supposedly detergents to marauding coyotes.  I don't have any personal experience with any of the latter, as I do not keep sheep or goats, nor do I have any desire to keep them.  If trained and raised properly the great Pyrenees dogs will stay in the pasture with sheep and goats.  I see that quite often.  Donkeys and llamas are so cheap here that the local livestock auctions won't take them.  My cattle buyer pals says:"The only way to get a bid on a donkey would be to tie a hundred dollar bill on its neck."  So, if you want a cheap donkey or llama make the trip down to central Texas.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 12:52:02 pm »
Donkeys are great for protecting a herd-especially a jenny. But if your neighbors within a mile have a stud horse forget it and get a gelding.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 09:09:11 pm »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I hope its just that the calf was messed up and slow.  I hate finding them dead, especially after you feel like you saved it :sad:  We have had coyotes in the area for several years, but I only know of one farmer in the area have a big problem. He got a donkey, must have helped.  I had one killed being born, but it was by a bobcat.  A huge tomcat, as big as a shepherd dog.

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 10:40:45 pm »
Coyotes are as interesting as they are cunning and their size and behavior can vary from one place to another and even within an area.  I have a friend who did her PhD on them and she tells me there are good coyotes and bad coyotes.  That is to say, some make decent neighbors and others do not--I don't consider the ones near me to be 'good neighbors'.  I've had them kill large bucks that weighed right at 300 lbs so they can take large prey.  Here, at least, fox are much harder on ground nesting birds--just the niche they fill but that too can vary from area-to-area.  Here, coyotes kill and eat fox, so if you have coyotes you tend to have few fox.  A trade-off as far as ground nesting birds are concerned, if that's your interest.  The coyotes here are much larger than the ones in Texas, New Mexico and Arizona but they are much smaller than the ones back east.  I believe that they do take large prey in the eastern states because they are larger and I believe they eat small prey in Texas and other states where their overall body size is smaller.  They are very adaptable and have done very well; I don't think they could ever be eradicated.  There have been people killed by coyotes, including adults but most documented cases were children.  The ones I have on my property are fairly aggressive and have followed me home after deer hunting till near dark.  I don't trust the ones that follow me home and get within 20 yards or so.  I have a friend in Saskatchewan and he had one chase his dog through the back yard and through a partially open patio door that my friend slammed shut just as the dog cleared; the coyote hit the glass but didn't break it!!  I use snares to knock them back here every winter but I can't say I've done much to reduce their numbers here.  They are a very successful animal.  They'll be here long after we're all gone.  They eat bees too--at least the dead ones in front of hives in the fall.
Chip

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 08:48:23 am »
Oh great chip, now I have to worry with the bees too :D  They certainly are survivors.  A few years ago I watched them take out a big fawn.  I watched it almost get away, but it made the mistake of cutting to the right and that was that.  They are impressive if nothing else.

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 10:25:51 am »
They are indeed.  If it makes you feel better, I think they only eat the dead ones in front of the hive (more common in fall) but insects do form a pretty fair share of their diet.  Sounds like you need to get a roadrunner to work 'em over :laugh:  Seriously, donkeys do work well.  I have a close friend in OH and he has several to protect his cattle.
Chip