Author Topic: How are your bees doing?  (Read 34124 times)

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
Re: How are your bees doing?
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2014, 01:47:46 am »
living down in Florida you would think that a screened bottom board would be the only way to go but with a wide open entrance and you invert the inner cover deep side down and cut a notch about 3 to 4 inches wide and the rim of the inner cover this creates an upper entrance. I try to practice building very very strong hives I use two brood chambers ( deep ). if it really gets hot I will put a quarter inch Dow rod under two corners of one of the supers, not on creating another major entrance, entirely by passing the brood chambers,  avoiding brood chamber congestion, a significant cause of swarming, and providing ventilation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 01:54:27 am by barry42001 »
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline Beeracuda

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2014, 12:24:07 pm »
All of our hives seem to be doing well.  Yesterday, I saw a few bees bringing in pollen.  We are going to have a week of temps in the 70's, so I will probably see more of that. 

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2014, 01:46:51 pm »
Hey Beeracuda! Nice to hear from you and a good report on your bees. Wishing you well with the oncoming spring.

My bees have been packing in the pollen for over two weeks. I've been feeding winter patties that I'm making myself now. It's easy and fun.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2014, 03:05:41 pm »
All of our hives seem to be doing well.  Yesterday, I saw a few bees bringing in pollen.  We are going to have a week of temps in the 70's, so I will probably see more of that.

OK Beeracuda, you had a health problem that I can't remember.  How is your physical being? 

Offline 40 Acre Bees

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2014, 05:07:16 pm »
Well we started last spring with 2 hives and as of today  Feb 15 we still have two.  Did some emergency feeding today, as they felt really light, but it really has been a long wild winter and we wanted a bit of a safety net...........  What a relief when you hearing their buzzing through the stethoscope.  We were so happy. :D

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2014, 05:32:51 pm »
40- Yaaaay, I'm happy for ya too. So far I'm reading some pretty good outcomes with hive survival after this very cold winter. It's going to a very fun time on this forum this spring  :) 8)

Offline Crofter

• ex pressure welder/steamfitter; now a tinker
  • Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2014, 05:51:11 pm »
I listened close today to some hives that seemed to have little activity but they are buzzing. They may be down lower so hard (for me) to hear from the top entrances. Several of the back row of hives have a large number of bees flying out and not making it back. Still about 7 degrees below freezing but the warmest we have had for a solid month. The way the hives are wrapped and covered I can not get in to peek without really tearing things apart and cant heft the hives either. Just have to wait another month before we get warm enough weather.

So far 8 out of 8 still alive.
Frank

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2014, 05:56:41 pm »
Cool! My one out of one hive is still hangin' tight

Offline Beeracuda

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2014, 09:48:29 pm »

OK Beeracuda, you had a health problem that I can't remember.  How is your physical being?

Thank you for asking.  I am doing well.  My leukemia is in remission after the first round of chemo!  I had a bladder tumor removed yesterday that was discovered when they were trying to diagnose me originally.  I will start my second round of chemo as soon as I am fully healed from yesterday's surgery.  The second round will be outpatient, so that will be much, much better, but it is going to take 6 months to complete.  I will get through it and I now have help lined up to take care of the girls when I can't.  :)

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2014, 09:56:08 pm »
Congrats. Beeracuda keep the faith and get your strength & stamina back. 40 please feed up the light colony, as they will start serious brood rearing, and now is when they can starve out after getting through the worst of the winter. 

"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2014, 11:06:21 pm »
Really active now and bringing in lots of pollen. I also saw quite a few at the watering hole today. I'm going to get some feed on them, because it's supposed to be around 70 for the next several days and I bet they go into overdrive!

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2014, 11:38:32 pm »
and now is the time of year when you have to be the most cautious, with the ramping up a brood rearing, there will be an enormous consumption of stores. seldom is there enough nectar coming in to make up for that at this particular time of year.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2014, 11:44:24 pm »
 Tbone ""I'm going to get some feed on them, because it's supposed to be around 70 for the next several days and I bet they go into overdrive!""

Two weeks ago my it warmed up to 60 here, so I put on a winter patty and it was gone in two weeks. Put on another one, and it was gone in one week. So yeah, keep a close eye on them.

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2014, 05:08:19 pm »
Ok, first of all, nobody comment on my redneck reducer. Be nice!  :)

Now, this is more for encouragement to you northern beeks to keep the faith and get ready for some action. I wish I new where they were getting the pollen. Man they are getting after it!

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2014, 05:15:29 pm »
Wooooo!  ;D  Looks like 7/8 bees out of 10 are packing in the pollen. Cool! That's what my hive is doing. And like I said, my bees are going thru a winter pattie a week.

Nice vid too, gives those who are still buried in snow some hope  :) 8)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2014, 05:17:12 pm »
Thanks for the "fix". I'm probably good for a couple days now.  ;D
Had to fire up the snow blower twice today!
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2014, 05:38:50 pm »
Thanks for the "fix". I'm probably good for a couple days now.  ;D
Had to fire up the snow blower twice today!

Yep, just got back from plowing myself..   Great to see activity again, sure beats staring at entrances covered with snow for 20 minutes each afternoon!

By the way Tbone..  AWESOME reducer!!  Got to love the ingenuity!!   
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2014, 07:40:58 pm »
Mine were flying today for sure and looking at everything.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2014, 08:30:36 pm »
Lots of activity today, with deep orange and tan pollen coming in all eight hives!  75 degrees F today and wind 5-15mph.  Some orientation flights.   A good start for the Spring I think.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline litefoot

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2014, 11:27:15 pm »
Couple of days in the 50's allowed me to open up my 4 colonies and take a look. All are alive and the numbers look good. One hive had a lot of flyers while all of them were performing mortician services. I helped a bit with a thin skewer that a raked across each bottom board which resulted in a considerable pile of bees. These warm spells are a double-edged sword though. Active bees are hungry bees, so I tried my hand at fondant cakes which I added to two boxes.