Author Topic: Hey Apis!  (Read 4922 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Hey Apis!
« on: December 12, 2013, 07:07:09 am »
Hey Buddy.
I've sen this for a while on Kijiji. Sadly, Saltspring Island is about as far away from me still in Canada.

http://bc.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-othe ... Z526298497

I zoomed in on it and it looks like a jiggle knife, but the price is crazy!  :shock:
The new one by Kellys is electric, and this one is steam heated. What are the advantages of one over the other?
Thanks
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline tecumseh

Re: Hey Apis!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 04:57:20 pm »
looks pretty home made!

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 05:04:37 pm »
Het tec.
In your opinion, is steam advantageous over electric in any way?
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 12:04:56 am »
Looks modified in the least motor not original. sitting off to the side using pulleys to change rpm and knife movement, strokes per minute. $ 1000.00 is a little high IMHO.
Steam is the perfect uncapping temperature Your knife will never get hotter than 212 deg F. Electric gets to hot when sitting idle for a while and the honey sizzles until the electric knifes are cooled by the honey.
Steam can be easy and cheap to make and run 1-electric hot plate 1-Presure cooker both can be picked up cheep at a garage sale. Remove or drill the guts out of the pop off pressure relief valve and adapt a hose to the open relief valve and a small hose to the uncapping knife. Adjust hotplate heat to control the amount of steam. A pot of water will provide steam for 8 hr of extracting.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 06:35:30 am »
looks like Apisbee handled that question.  I have almost no experience with steam except to say if you need a lot of heat in a honey house then a boiler and steam is really the way to go.

of course one thing about my own kelley's electric vibrating knife is that you do have a thermostat to set the temperature at exactly the temperature you wish but like Apis suggest use/non use may mean this only give you limited control in the heat you have at the knife blade.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 06:53:08 am »
I may end up with the electric version ($535), simply because no one makes the steam one anymore (I think anyways). I hardly ever see one come up for sale, unless it's on the other side of Canada and highly overpriced.  :lol:
Forum Supporter