Worldwide Beekeeping Resource Library > Books

What I am currently reading

(1/5) > >>

Bakersdozen:
I think this thread has several possibilities.  It can all be about what I am reading right now, or others can chime in about what's on their bed side table these days.  I hope others chime in because that will be a lot more interesting.

I am currently reading Bringing Nature Home, How you can sustain wildlife with native plants by Douglas W. Tallamy.  This author was recommended to me by a fellow beekeeper and gardener.  Reading is not a priority for me in summer, so I am not very far along.  Tallamy's reoccurring theme focuses on man's disruption of natural habitats and how we need to learn to diversify our environment before we lose species because there is no where for them to go.  Tallamy stresses than "pockets" of native plant species, while it helps, are not enough to support all the species that share our world.  Think of all the little bogs and ponds that were filled in for subdivisions. 
I think readers will realize that the plant species we add to our landscapes have an impact on insects, birds, amphibians, etc.  It might make you want to go out and over seed your pristine fescue yard with white clover!

neillsayers:
B12,

That is so right on. Species diversity is key to a healthy environment. I read something Sam Comfort said calling monocultural areas "agricultural deserts". Everything in our ecology and even our reproduction systems is designed to increase genetic diversity. Thanks for bringing this topic up. Look forward to discussion. :)

Jen:
I am reading 'H is for Hawk' by Helen Macdonald. A true story about a woman who was always interested in falconry. Except she went against the advice of other falconers who warned against training a Goshawk, a more difficult hawk to train, encouraging her to train the more congenial peregrine hawk. She chose the Goshawk. Reflections of myself, often choosing the more difficult road.

brooksbeefarm:
I have many trees and plants i have planted and care for that are bee and butterfly friendly and had to spray insecticide on all that was not in bloom :sad:. The Japanese beetles are here by the thousands eating fruit trees (leaves and fruit) grape vine leaves, shrubs,most everything in the garden, and flowers. I use Asana insecticide and spray just before dark and so far over the years i've not had a bee kill using it. I've never seen this many of them before, more like millions than thousands? I guess i'm a little sick ;D i like to set and watch them twist, turn , and fall of graveyard dead on the ground after i spray them dirty devil's :laugh: Are any of you having problems with them?? Jack

kebee:
 Yes they are bad here also, as much as I hate too I am going to have to spray to kill them, I think it is the hot humid weather causing them to multiply so much.

Ken

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version