Author Topic: Beekeepers Lab by Lehman  (Read 4171 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Beekeepers Lab by Lehman
« on: March 31, 2018, 12:17:17 pm »
Beekeeper's Lab: 52 Family-Friendly Activities and Experiments Exploring the Life of the Hive  is a great book for anyone that does programs for children.  There are some aspects that are geared for new beekeepers such a hive location, foraging requirements, and water availability.  There are several very easy and inexpensive projects to do with children.  I plan to incorporate Lab 43, comb rubbings.  That is simply taking plastic foundation and doing crayon rubbings on paper or fabric. (kind of like tombstone rubbings?)
#26 is called Bee Landing Strips.  You place a pollinator friendly flower in a dark box with a  dark fabric hood (like the really old cameras).  The viewer shines an UV flashlight on the flower and sees what a honey bee sees.  I think I would call this experiment "SEE LIKE A BEE".
Anyway, a very cool book with experiments for all ages.  They price varies, so shop around.  I found a copy in a store for $25.  I ordered it on Amazon for $8 with tax.  I see today it is priced higher on Amazon.https://www.amazon.com/Beekeepers-Lab-Family-Friendly-Activities-Experiments/dp/1631592688/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1521997197&sr=1-1&keywords=beekeepers
The following users thanked this post: riverbee, Wandering Man