Sustainable Living > Gardening

My raised beds 2020.

<< < (3/3)

Newbee:
Thanks for sharing the pics!
Great idea with that 1/2" pipe and valve.... I may have to go to the hardware store now, thanks!

@Zweefer: I had success re-purposing a strawberry tower planter I tried making a few years ago. I had read about using PVC pipe to grow strawberry plants in vertically: 6" Thin-wall PVC Pipe and a 4" Hole saw, alternate holes going up/down the pipe. Put cap on end, fill with soil and plants, mount vertically, voila!
Yeah, didn't work so good, plants all dried out right quick. Added a watering pipe the following year: better, still no berries. Tossed pipe into the woods to be forgotten.
THIS year we cleaned up that patch of woods! Found the pipe, inspiration struck again! Removed  watering pipe (debatable), and mounted it horizontally this time (with a slight tilt). Made a stand from some logs to get it off the ground to picking height, re-packed with dirt and 20 new berry plants, watered regularly, voila! Berries!
They still kick out runners like always, but since it's about 3-4 feet off the ground, they're easy to spot and grab/pull off.

- K

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version