Author Topic: Working on a new deer blind.  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Alleyyooper

Working on a new deer blind.
« on: October 31, 2014, 06:33:30 am »
Have been working on a new one. It is from 90% recycled material.
Have had the platform up for about a month but other duty's that must be done before cold weather (below 45F) has kept me from making the box part to put on the platform.

Ripped 2x4's into 1 1/2  for the frame work. installed a plastic corrugated board that is a fast food drive way sign, over that I installed some steel I recovered in a building tear down I helped a guy do. Also have some steel a friend gave me who used to build pole barns before 2009.

This side will face west.

This is the south facing which will be the front of the blind with some of the steel on.

Looking in the door, plan is to paint the insides so I don't get hunger from just sitting and thinking of the sandwiches coffee and donuts.

The roof is also steel on purlins. I am using that expanding foam to cover the bottom. It will cut down on the noise of rain and also help retain heat in the blind. No picture of that part yet.

16 days till the season starts.

:)  Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline Marbees

Re: Working on a new deer blind.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 12:48:01 am »
Hi Al,
Are you going to have some kind of heater in there, propane maybe?
Bee Remarkable

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 05:06:18 am »
No plan for a heater at this point.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 01:12:19 pm »
Hey Al, i've been thinking about building some similar to what your building. I'm thinking about putting them on a 5ft or 8ft. stand, i would have to build them (the sides, bottom, and roof here at home and assemble them on location.Since i'm getting older like perry, iddee, tec, G3, and many others on here, i would like something permanent. For the past few years i have been using those Dog House tents sold at Bass Pro shop, but it's a new learning secession everytime i put them up or take them down ??? My wife is going to have knee replacement this coming Monday so i won't be able to get anywhere except from the house and shop. Maybe i'll come up with a plan. Jack

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 05:21:21 am »
One I just took apart yesterday to take back to the woods and reassemble on the raised (8') stand is the 5th of my modular blinds.

This a look at the 4th one I built a couple years ago and assembled in the front yard, 400',from the house.

I cut 2"x4"'s in half for the corners, I like 5'x5' so add a foot to the sides of some OSB make some inside braceing for the windows to hinge from

Once on the platform 5'x8' made with treated 4"x4"post and 2x6 floor rails, floors is normally non treated 2x6 inside the blind and treated 2"x6" porch.  All the sides are lag bolted to the floor. then lag bolts are used to bolt the sides to the front and back. Once that is done the roof is lifted in place and lag bolted in place.

I also at one time used those Amerstep pop up blinds. They worked great set up in advance and brushed in a little. Problems arose when we got freezing rain and the uncovered zippers froze shut. can't open the door to get in or out. can't open the windows to see out.
I sent a E Mail asking them to sew a flap of material over the sippers and they basely gave me the big finger.
That is when I started building blinds my self.
I have used T1-11, OSB, recycled pallets and now plastic board and steel.

Recycled pallet blind I have on our UP property.

Amerstep dog house blind with froze up zippers a useless blind.

A nice no name portable blind except for the almost 20 pounds of weight.

The weight factor.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 01:08:52 pm »
Thanks Al, that is kind of what i had in mind, have you had any problem with the wind? Jack

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 02:51:24 pm »
No problem with the wind but I am only 8' off the ground at the floor and 7 feet at the high point. I think being in the woods help with it blocking the real wind so it doesn't get a straight shot.

I wouldn't make it over 6 1/2 feet tall but I needed the room to use the ram rod on the muzzle loader. Years ago I was using a blind a guy put me into and you had to step out side to recharge the ML.

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 02:50:48 pm »
Finished and ready to use.