Author Topic: another from Indiana  (Read 14965 times)

Offline mohawkny

another from Indiana
« on: December 11, 2013, 12:28:18 pm »
Blueblood live just around the corner and told me about the forum.  I'm a new beekeeper,  without any bee's at this time.  :oops:  :cry:  But will start again in the spring.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: another from Indiana
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 01:58:09 pm »
WELCOME!!!!
thanks for checking out our great new forum, and feel free to post questions, this will be a great place this winter to hang out and learn more about bees, and blue is a great guy!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 02:26:32 pm »
No Bees?? Well.. since Blue lives JUST around the corner...   I am SURE he wouldnt miss a couple of hives!!!!  Err.. if he does tell him Perry said it was OK!!!

:lol:     WELCOME!!!!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 02:36:57 pm »
Welcome. Glad you came. Hope you like it here.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 03:08:07 pm »
Welcome and thanks for introducing yourself. Dave is a good guy to glean knowledge of your local area from. He is informative and has gained a lot of knowledge even tho he has only been keeping bees for a short time. Partially from hanging out and participating in discussions on this forum.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 03:12:55 pm »
Quote from: "LazyBkpr"
No Bees?? Well.. since Blue lives JUST around the corner...   I am SURE he wouldnt miss a couple of hives!!!!  Err.. if he does tell him Perry said it was OK!!!

:lol:     WELCOME!!!!
OK, I can see that I'm going to have to watch you!  LazB  :lol:  

Actually, Dave has expanded pretty quickly this year so I would set out a few swarm traps in his neighborhood and hope he gets busy at work with overtime or something!  ;)
Actually, you couldn't find a better guy to learn from. His knowledge spike on bees has been phenomenal to watch.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 03:19:21 pm »
:mrgreen:

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 03:23:01 pm »
and p.s.
just be prepared to start taking care of bees immediately without any warning, er maybe a phone call,  when dave rolls up in your driveway with a patrol car full of them....... :lol:
Forum Sponsor

Offline BoilerJim

• https://www.facebook.com/jim.taul
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 06:14:49 pm »
Welcome to the hobby Mohawkny!
Jim (BoilerJim)
Proud Member (Hoosier Division)

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 07:57:11 pm »
Hey Mohawkny! Welcome to the forum.

You will find Dave to be a good asset and mentor.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 09:44:29 pm »
Glad to see ya join Mowhak!  Now I am going to have to live up to all of this eulogizing by my long distant (and old) mentors 8-) .  You are probably going to have bees coming out of your ears truthfully.  You better get some boxes ready.  I meant to tell you at the ball game the other night that you will have to bring some boards over and I can show ya how to build everything in case you decide to skip buying equipment later on.

To the rest of ya, I am humbled by you.  I have so much to learn and I am sure there isn't enough time in one lifetime to learn it all.  I look up to all of you with high regard and respect despite when I catch a hard time or tongue lashing, not mentioning any names, but he lives in NC and has a nasty habit of taking shirt off around bees.  8-).  Thanks for the kind words friends.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 09:54:34 pm »
my long distant (and old) mentors

BAHAHAHA  Just because we KNOW he wasnt talking to me!!!

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 10:20:39 pm »
"You are probably going to have bees coming out of your ears truthfully. You better get some boxes ready."
...... :lol:
see what i said.....!!!! dave really hoards bees! .....but just like the rest of us..........  :D

"To the rest of ya, I am humbled by you. I have so much to learn and I am sure there isn't enough time in one lifetime to learn it all".
dave my friend,  i haven't kept bees long enough either.....a lifetime of passion and learning for sure, give yourself credit, you have done well AND will be(already are) a good mentor/teacher ..... :D
Forum Sponsor

Offline mohawkny

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 10:57:37 am »
So I have some time now let me explain why no bees.  I decided to get in to bee keeping about 2 years ago, read every thing I could and then decided to buy a hive and a package of bees.  Made a place on the back of the property, fenced it in as it is in the field where the horse are.  Build the hive, painted it, build the frames and waited to for the package. Package arrived, only a few dead bees on the bottom of the package.  Installed package that night.  Walked down and check to see if the bees were coming and going for the next 4 days.  Day 4  opened the hive to see if the queen was released,  she was out and I found her very fast on the second frame that I pulled out.  looking back she was kind of all  alone but a live and well.  Closed up the hive and waited a week.  Opened it up a week later,  the frames are getting comb the bees are busy,  I didn't fine the queen and I didn't see any eggs,  I looked hard but couldn't fine her,  but only a week so closed it up.  A week later I inspected the hive again, more comb,  nectar and pollen being stored,  but no queen and no eggs,  I get worried,  I check again in 3 days and still nothing,  I order a new queen.   The new queen took 2 and a half weeks to get here.  I open the hive and fine many eggs in one cell.  I now have a laying worker.   Take the whole hive 100 yards away from the spot were it sits and dump all the bee on the ground.( there are now no bee in the hive)  Take the hive back to the spot were it sits,  some bee are waiting on me.  I install the new queen and wait.  check in five days to see if she is out and she is but again I can't find her.  Drone cells now every.  less and less bee each week and no queen or eggs.  Two months later the bees are gone.   I start again in the spring.

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 11:01:41 am »
welcome aboard
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter