Author Topic: Bee School...  (Read 1275 times)

Offline tecumseh

Bee School...
« on: September 26, 2018, 08:09:45 am »
I guess Texas is known for 'large' and the two clubs I belong to here in Central Texas 'bee schools' they put on certainly qualify for that designation.  We have one school in the spring down in Brehnam (home of Blue Bell Icecream and ZZ Tops) and another here in College Station (home of Texas A&M University) in the fall.  Attendance at the Brenham event has been a bit over 600 for the past 5 years and the attendance at the College Station event is typically about 400+. It takes a lot of participation by member to pull off an event that large but it also produces a large amount of money which goes into a youth bee keeping program.

The students at the lab, myself and Dr Rangel participate in both as speakers.  The secondary plus for me is it gets me in a place to rub elbows with a lot of the existing 'old' beekeeper that I know.  Both events have a very active participation of vendors and some come from quite a distance... most are more concerned about keeping their name in front of the public than in selling goods although I typically always buy a few things as we chat.... caps to give away when I travel and books for my great nephews...

For some reason I never get nervous in the talks (somewhat defying Mark Twain's adage) but am quite happy when the event goes over well and I am headed home...

ET in Central Texas...

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Re: Bee School...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 03:14:17 pm »
Sounds like a great time Tec, you meet the most interesting people peering into bee hives, and at these schools.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 05:30:40 am »
What topics do you and others do you cover?  Thanks for sharing.

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 06:28:35 am »
Thanks Lee and good to see you are still keeping bees...

That is a very difficult question BarkersDozen but both are beginners schools and the programs are suppose to be designed to attract that crowd.  Most folks with any experience would still find one or two subject interesting.  We have a lady from up Dallas way that is pretty much an expert on native bee plants.  Most classes are reduced to the basics... bee biology, building equipment, equipment choice and of course a class on top bars and the products of the hive. This time around I did a class on growing and selling bees (a flop I might add) and how to light a smoker (which went over very well).... go figure!

Dr Rangel usually does a class in queen biology and the students something related to their work.

The state beekeeper association (TBA) will have their convention the end of the second week of November and Dr Rangel and I shall be doing a half day program on Queen Rearing... that should be fun...

Gene in Central Texas...