Author Topic: Moving Hives This Time Of Year  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Moving Hives This Time Of Year
« on: September 28, 2018, 03:30:46 am »
I'm helping a beginner beek with his hive this year, we're working on how to get his two hives ready for winter.

His hives are way up the hillside. 'Jim' is in his late 60's and is out of cell range. I'm worried that he is going to take a tumble down this steep bank in the winter, or anytime really. So I'm going to work on him to bring his two hives down to the landing where his house is.

Is this a good time of year to move the hives? They are not in cluster yet.

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
Re: Moving Hives This Time Of Year
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 10:23:59 am »
you can move at anytime of year as long as not in cluster
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 12:30:12 pm »
As I'm mapping this out in my mind, we would need to lock the bees in at dusk, then move them the next day. However, I don't see how we can get the hive down in one piece, it would have to be dismantled and taken down the hill in two pieces, the honey super above is going to be top heavy and could topple.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 09:38:36 am »
If there is a honey super on top, I would remove that prior to the move.  Drive the bees down to the brood boxes.  Divide and conquer.  You could have extra bottom boards and lids on hand, separate them, at dusk, the night before.  There may be some chaos at that point.  The question is, would you seal up the entrances that night or in the morning?  I can envision the queenless 1/2 migrating over to the other 1/2 that has the queen.
Location, location, location.  That is an extreme location!  It's not meant for old beekeepers.  Is this his 1st year with hives in this location?  If not, he has experience on how to get 'er done.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 12:08:48 pm »
His name is Jim. This is his first year beekeeping. He's going to be a great beekeeper because all of the other animals and foul on his little farm are very well taken care of. He's in his late 60's with two injured shoulders. Heck of a nice guy but stubborn, I enjoy helping him with his hive

Driving the bees down is a good idea, I didn't think of that. We could block the entrance, drive the bees down and secure the lid at dusk. Move the honey supers down to the landing first. Bring the brood box down last, and situate it where he wants it, put supers back on. Bah Dah Bing! 

In the pic you don't see the steep trail going all the way down to the landing where his house etc is. I know that Jim is going to trek that trail all winter long to feed the bees. Makes me nervous for his safety.