Author Topic: Syrup feeders  (Read 1603 times)

Offline RAST

Syrup feeders
« on: October 20, 2020, 08:47:13 pm »
 Observations and thoughts about feeders. I built and used the top box ladder feeders this past year, I like them for the ease of filling. The bees will easily empty a 1/2 gal in 24 hrs or less, probably more if I gave it to them. Probably do the same on an internal frame feeder (don't care for them). This rapid syrup movement is great for getting open "nectar" in frames, especially if you are seeing dry larva. And for putting weight in a hive if you are in the far north land I imagine. But if one is wanting to draw comb and stimulate bood laying would an inverted bucket feeder with one hole be better? It last's much longer and may make them think a flow is on and stimulate them for the duration of one keeping it full. Your thoughts?

Picture of the feeder I am using and you can see how the bees hit it.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Syrup feeders
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 06:24:06 am »
I like this one. Similar to yours, but larger capacity "two gallons on a 10 frame hive" and larger access.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 12:40:37 pm »
No photo or link iddee?
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 02:47:19 pm »
But if one is wanting to draw comb and stimulate bood laying would an inverted bucket feeder with one hole be better? It last's much longer and may make them think a flow is on and stimulate them for the duration of one keeping it full. Your thoughts?

I have never heard the style of feeder referred to when trying to simulate a nectar flow.  Doesn't mean there isn't a preferred feeder for this.  I have only heard the ratio of sugar to water, which is 1:1.  I would also think pollen sources would go hand in hand with simulating a nectar flow.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 04:28:02 pm »
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline RAST

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 08:16:56 pm »
 I haven't either B.D., I just got to wondering if a long drawn out steady, though smaller volume, would be more productive.