Author Topic: Texas Beekeepers Convention: Temple, Texas  (Read 3953 times)

Offline tecumseh

Texas Beekeepers Convention: Temple, Texas
« on: November 08, 2018, 05:54:14 am »
I am headed off the next several days for the annual Texas Beekeeper's Convention in Temple Texas... We use to have these annual affair all over the place but someone finally decided having one central to the state's population was important.

Dr Rangel and I will be putting on a queen rearing workshop this evening and then I shall man the Bee Lab booth for the next couple of days. Clint Walker is proving us with hives from which to pull brood (if there is any???) for the hand on part of the class.  Wish us luck and I hope it is fun...

The students from the lab will be giving presentation...

Gene in Central Texas....
The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man

Offline tecumseh

Re: Texas Beekeepers Convention: Temple, Texas
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 06:44:54 am »
well as things work out (and typically never according to plan) the queen workshop was well attended and well received but the convention itself was poorly attended.  I am not certain if the poor attendance was about weather, time of year (near a holiday weekend) or lack of interest???  I guess the folks that make decision will have to figure out just what happened.  Uncommon to the 'typical' TBA convention we had a bit of drama as a group of anarchist/anti regulations folks tried to interrupt the convention < basically trying to add a long list of anti regulation/open meeting/inclusion resolution to the meeting agenda which added about 2 hours to the members meeting which then interrupt the programs that people had showed up to attend.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 05:40:13 am »
What?  Drama at a beekeeping meeting?   :o
I took a queen rearing class in late October but there wasn't any brood, so we weren't able to graft.  It was taught by Gary Reuter,  University of Minnesota Bee Lab. 

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 11:49:10 am »
...  Uncommon to the 'typical' TBA convention we had a bit of drama as a group of anarchist/anti regulations folks tried to interrupt the convention < basically trying to add a long list of anti regulation/open meeting/inclusion resolution to the meeting agenda which added about 2 hours to the members meeting which then interrupt the programs that people had showed up to attend.

A sign of the times...  :-/
Lee_Burough

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 06:33:15 am »
there does seem to be a lot of hostile angry folks out there.  I would guess the reason for that are much as they have always been.  most of those are folks who seem to not get along with anyone... which I why I classify them as anarchist.