Author Topic: Nearly one year old.  (Read 5972 times)

Offline Alleyyooper

Nearly one year old.
« on: October 08, 2014, 02:30:23 pm »
Bought a new wood furnace last year in Oct. I fired it up out side the first time as I had hears story's of others who waited then had a house full of smoke and fumes.
It is a England 28-3500 ad on for what ever the main furnace is, ours is electric forced air.
I have not turned on the electric furnace in so long I don't know if it will even work any longer.
This England replaces a Southern Aire furnace that was in the house when we bought it nearly 30 years ago.
The old furnace had got a hole in the fire chamber and I didn't feel like fooling with it welding it up or patching.
The England is sold here thru wood burning device dealers, Their a joke as They wanted me to pay for shipping from the factory and that was to their store not my house. Lowes sells it as a summer heat name model, Home depot sells it as the England model. Thru Lowes and Home Depot you can get a 10% veterans discount if you hold the right type of ID. Lowes also wanted me to pay shipping to the store and it was more than Home Depot to my home.

As you can see there was a lot of smoke that rolled out of it. I burnt it full open for about 6 hours to make sure the stuff got burnt off. I then shut it down to burn all night. It burnt so long shut down I had to wait for an extra day to let it cool to move it in the house and hook it up.

I was burning about 12-14 face cords (18x4'x8') of fire wood a season with the old southern model in a normal winter. I only burnt 9 face cord last winter and we set all kinds of record cold days as well as the3 winter seemed to hang on when spring came.
Only ran the blower a couple of times when I got to fooling around and let the fire burn real low and the house cool off.

:)  Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline Alleyyooper

Re: Nearly one year old.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 09:09:41 am »
The wood pile last year.

:)   Al

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 10:23:00 am »
Smart move "cooking" that for the first times outdoors.
Nothing beats the feeling of having a nice stack of wood settin up thumbing it's nose at winter! :D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 05:19:46 am »
Well I like it when it is 20F below zero and it is a nice cozy 76F inside the house.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 10:50:07 pm »
76 in the house?  My wife would have a litter of kittens on the floor if she walked in and it was that "hot" in the house...  me.. well I would just curl up on the floor and have a nap!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 05:40:41 am »
House is 76F inside day or night in the winter. We dress light and like it. Last winter when every one was complaining about the cold and heating bill we just smiled. Our daughter lives in Wisconsin & has natural gas heat. We refuse to visit her from late Oct to late May. Got to sleep at her house in December and wake up with frost on your nose and we take our own quilts too.

Gypsi

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 10:43:15 am »
I use a little parlor stove to heat my house, but my house windows were so bad in 2 rooms I was having to close them off in winter.  Just got done changing 2.  And moving the storm window from one of them to the other bad window, just in case I don't have the cash to move it.

I love heating with my woodstove.  It is a made in Taiwan antique so I can't safely baffle the chimney or the risk of CO poisoning is too high.  I know what you mean about initial smell. Wasn't my stove, was the darn chimney pipes on the thing when they were new.

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n406/gypsi_fw/stoveDec5_2013_zps41b754d9.jpg

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 09:13:21 pm »
bought an old farmhouse (built in 1902) in the country......she's a money pit............. :D

anyway, heat for the house was a gigantic wood burning furnace in the basement, a lennox.  somewhere along the way, before we bought the place, someone had jury rigged it, put in an oil tank and furnace, so when the wood ran out the oil furnace kicked in.........the smell from the oil was of course, not the aroma of whatever wood, oak usually.  we had the chimney checked out......... :D and the jury riggin......... :D
doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out things needed to be fixed.   i don't mind chopping wood, but it's usually for an outdoor fire in the firepit.... :D
gas splitters are real nice to have.

we updated and put modern technology in with a lennox furnace, runs on propane.  when our contractors came to take that old lennox wood burner out of the basement, they had to cut it in pieces to get it out .  i saved the door on it, must weigh 50 pounds....... :D

sure do like modern conveniences.......... :D

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor